Menu
toxicwaster
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Keep land line number on new VM account (port across 2 accounts).

Hi guys,

Im taking a new VM contract at my dad's property (his current contract will be cancelled and I will be setting up a new one as the bill payer).

Question is how to keep/port his landline number across to my new account. I know you can do this switching to different providers but have struggled to find any information regarding porting the number across to a new VM account.

Cheers, any help appreciated!

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keep land line number on new VM account (port across 2 accounts).

Hi @toxicwaster

Thanks for posting. Have you set up the new deal at all yet?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
toxicwaster
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Not just yet! Wanted to be sure of everything first before I start.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Has your Dad given notice to cancel? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos
toxicwaster
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Nope! Again we are getting as much information as possible before proceeding, almost did today but I told him to wait. Would there also be any issues taking out a virgin contract at the property just after one ends? I have read mixed signals about this, even the web chat advisor couldn't tell me for sure.
0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Righto, so it would be 30 days notice to cancel. Then three months no service at the property before being able to rejoin as a new customer. 

Is there any reason you're looking to do this?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos
toxicwaster
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

WOW thats a bit shocking. Yes, Im going to be living at the property instead of my dad and we just want to keep the number active as I was going to take our a VM contract anyway. So what your saying is, NOBODY can take out a contract at the same property for 3 months? Lol. Scorched earth policy.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry for that toxicwaster

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@toxicwaster wrote:

Hi guys,

Im taking a new VM contract at my dad's property (his current contract will be cancelled and I will be setting up a new one as the bill payer).

Question is how to keep/port his landline number across to my new account. I know you can do this switching to different providers but have struggled to find any information regarding porting the number across to a new VM account.

Cheers, any help appreciated!

You could just "take over" your father's account, which is literally a name change. However, you want a new contract at the same address. So to get the new customer pricing you have to have "left" Virgin's network for at least 3 months. This is a catch to stop people just leaving & rejoining immediately to get the "loss leader" pricing (ie. Virgin makes a loss on them) on its new customer deals.

VM BB TV Landline. Vonage 2nd line. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

toxicwaster
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well my da will probably want to keep his account but he doesn't need the landline whereas I would prefer to keep it active, it's just convenient to have the same number as it has been a family number for years.  

With regards to opening a new account;

I could understand if it's the same person or a spouse with joint account/same account details. But I AM a new customer 😂.

On further reading around the forum there is no policy in writing regarding this, and plenty of people have done the same thing. 

At the end of the day I could just get sky fibre and bin virgin altogether, it just seemed convenient that all the connections were already there and I have multiple points in the house to set up a router/TiVo box. (As I would want to plug my pc/consoles directly into the superhub.

Whereas I would need to have engineers come out to install openreach equipment for any other fibre provider. Just trying to save myself the hassle.

0 Kudos