Menu
DavidW72
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Jitter and VOIP phone

Since the beginning of this year I have been working from home. Part of my work from home setup, is that I have a VOIP phone connected to my superhub. The call quality of calls to and from this phone tend to be okay in the morning and then during the day the call quality degrades and then you get the scenario where audio is breaking up, so you only hear every other word.

I have traced the problem to an increase in Jitter level on my broadband. It starts off very low in the morning and then tends to increase during the day. 

I have reported the issue to Virgin Technical support but they did not know what Jitter was and therefore said that they could not help me. I have spoken to Gadget Rescue but they said that they are unable to resolve this issue. I have had a Virgin engineer out. He did some things and then said that my issue should be resolved. Unfortunately my issue still remained.

My broadband speed is not affected, I don't experience drop outs. I just need the Jitter levels on my broadband to be reduced, ideally so that it remains between 1 - 10ms throughout the day. If that can be achieved then my VOIP phone calls will be clear all day. Anyone know how this can be achieved, or how to explain it to Virgin so that they understand the issue and know how to resolve it. Thanks.  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Jitter and VOIP phone

Could be down to the VM problems with upstream over utilisation (congestion).  Setup a BQM and that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a link to a live, shared graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post that immediately.

If it is this upstream over-utilisation (which remains unproven for now), then chances are it won't resolve until lockdown ends, which in some ways would give light at the end of the tunnel, equally would be a right PITA in the meanwhile.  And if it is this, there's nothing VM can reasonably do about it, it's down to the technology and contention ratios that VM use, and changing those is slow, difficult and costly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Natalie_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi DavidW72, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for getting in touch. 

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your VOIP deteriorating throughout the day. This is not what we would expect to happen and appreciate this must be frustrating. 

Could you please set up a BQM over the next 24 hours and then provide us with the link so that we may take a look at the findings? 

Thank you 

Nat
0 Kudos
DavidW72
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andruser,

Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of generating the BQM data. I will post it here later today.

0 Kudos
DavidW72
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Natalie_L,

Thanks for the reply. I am in the process of generating the BQM data. I will post it here later today.

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi DavidW72,

Thanks for letting us know, we'll look forward to seeing the graph.

Kind regards.

Beth

0 Kudos
DavidW72
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andruser,

Here is the link to my graph for the last 24 hours (Approximately)

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/d1f6575c6a84269470923654d97d5e18346e865d-23-02-2021

Will wait to hear back from you.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DavidW72
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth,

Here is the link to my graph for the last 24 hours (Approximately)

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/d1f6575c6a84269470923654d97d5e18346e865d-23-02-2021

Will wait to hear back from you.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm afraid that the BQM confirms this is a utilisation issue - that's why the trace is fine during the small hours of the morning and then it all goes to pot.  My comments earlier do apply, and unfortunately your only options are to sit it out until lockdown ends, or to choose another ISP with all the challenges that may bring.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

DavidW72

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies for the broadband issues. I've checked the system today and there is a congestion issue affecting the services. 

We are planning to undertake some upgrades to support the increased demand for our services in your area. When completed, any slow broadband speeds and buffering on TiVo apps you may be experiencing (particularly at peak times) will be resolved.

The fault reference for this is F008776924. The estimated fix date is the 26th February 2021. Please monitor this for me after this date and let me know on here if you're still experiencing issues, we'll be able to re-check this for you.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos