cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with receiving misdialled numbers

Nfrichards
Joining in

Hi

i have been given a new telephone as part of my volt package, I am now receiving lots of calls from people who are thinking that they are ringing a company. 

I have contacted virgin and they said that they would put something in place so I would no longer receive these calls but my phone log is getting full of these misdirected calls.

what can I do

18 REPLIES 18

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Nfrichards,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post here on the forums.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your landline at the moment, it does sound like you have a crossed line, that would explain the incorrect calls being routed to your line instead of the company that they have intended to dial. I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming your details via private message Nfrichards. 

I have arranged a technician appointment for you and it can be tracked via your online account. Please sign into My Virgin Media and you will see your appointments on your account dashboard. However, this can take up to 24 hours to be updated. You can also check your appointments via the 'My Virgin Media' app.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for.
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Client62
Legend

Ask for a change of telephone number.

We had the same issue and it was the case that many people misdial omitting the first 0 making the next 6 digits of a number a local call, we has dozens calls and ranting voice mails for Amazon and Lloyds Bank.

A change of number and peace returned.

Thank you for your reply, I like the number that I’ve been assigned so I dont really want to change it, I’m going to see what the engineer has to say

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can't get a crossed line on a voip connection! You've just probably been given a recycled number

Do let us know how the visit goes @Nfrichards so we can offer further support if required. 

Have a lovely weekend! 😊

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@Nfrichards wrote:

Thank you for your reply, I like the number that I’ve been assigned so I dont really want to change it, I’m going to see what the engineer has to say

Your opening post begins 'i have been given a new telephone ...' .Was it meant to say you have been given a new telephone number?

If it was, you may also be receiving these unwanted calls as a result of receiving a recycled business number from VM's pool of telephone numbers rather than a mis-dialling problem.

Client62
Legend

I expect the VM engineer will say your phone is working & charge £25 for a no fault call out..

That’s what I thought, but if I get a new number it is likely to be recycled so let’s see what happens