Menu
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent phone line only during warm weather

So yesterday and the day before our home phone line has been dead. It goes off sometime during the morning/early afternoon and returns late evening/night time. We don't do anything to the phone (i.e. disturb wires etc.) it just goes off and comes back on on its own. At the moment as I type this it is off but was on a few hours ago - I suspect it will return again later this evening.

Weirdly a few weeks ago it did the same behaviour for a couple of days and the only thing I can work out as a common factor is that all the times it has been off is when it is a really hot day.

I have checked on the app every time we have had no phone line and there has been no reported problems with the phone service in our area.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: Ultimate Oomph bundle
Equipment: 3 x V6, Super Hub 3
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent phone line only during warm weather

Hi G4DDS,

Welcome to our community and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're having issues with our phone service, we understand how frustrating this must be especially as its off and on periodically.

So we can do the process of elimination we would ask you to try another phone in the master socket to make sure its not  the equipment at fault?

We would also ask you to remove any extensions and just try with the one handset to see if you are still having intermittent dialing tone.

Please can you try the above and let us know if you require further assistance.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

We checked our equipment and phone the last time this happened two days on the run and everything was fine.

Last week we lost services mid morning through to early evening Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday - the 4 really hot days. Our phone has been fine since then but the weather has been cooler.

The only common factor is that we lose our service on very hot days during the day but it returns at night when it gets cooler.

It's almost as if something in the cabinet or elsewhere expands during the heat and causes a connection to breakdown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi G4DDS,

Thank you for coming back to us, I appreciate this is an unusual one, there is some more hot weather on its way, please can you try as advised by john to try a different handset just to rule this out, if this still happens we will need to get a technician to look further into this for you.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So the phone line was fine the past few weeks but we hadn't had any really hot days.Thursday and Friday however were two really hot days and on both days our phone line went off mid afternoon until early evening.

On Friday when it was off I had a mess with the wiring around the plug socket disconnecting other phones and completely replacing the current phone with our old phone (the line was still dead). I left the old phone plugged in and as expected early evening it began working again.

I think that proves the problem is nothing our side of the phone socket and must be somewhere between the phone socket and out into the Virgin network?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear this is ongoing for you G4DDS. Let us take a look from here and we'll be able to arrange a tech visit if needed.

I'll send a PM shortly to confirm a few details and hope to hear back from you soon.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me G4DDS.

I've arranged the soonest tech-visit and confirmed the details via PM. Please let us know how that goes or give us a shout if you need help with anything else.

Tom 

0 Kudos