cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls phone not ringing

gingerjan
Joining in

Hi, I am having a problem with my land line phone which is not ringing for incoming calls.  Phone is connected to a wall socket not the hub.  The phone doesn’t ring for incoming calls but if I lift the handset the call connects & outgoing calls are fine.  Have tested with multiple handsets but still the phone is not ringing and the handset I have works on my BT line so clearly it is not faulty.  I have checked the line status and all appears to be OK.  Is this a fault with the Virgin line or the local box connections?

Appreciate any help you can give me.

7 REPLIES 7

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's probably a e side fault in the cabinet and would require a technician to repair 

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi gingerjan,

Thanks for getting in touch, and welcome back to the Community Forum! I'm sorry that you're having some problems landline phone.

I'd be more than happy to look into this for you. I'll just need to confirm a few details with you via Private Message. Please look out for a purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

gopete
On our wavelength

I rarely have use for the landline, but yesterday (Wednesday 19th January), it was arranged, by letter, that a hospital consultant would call for a 30 minute phone consultation at 11.30 am. I waited until 12.40 pm, and when no call came, I had to leave to go to my GP for a blood test which was required in the letter. On return, I noticed that no messages had been received on the answer machine,so I tapped 1471 only to find that the hospital HAD, indeed, phoned at 11.45 am, while I was home, but my phone had not rung. I can make outgoing calls and, if it would only ring, I could get incoming calls too. I phoned the hospital and re-arranged the consultation for this coming Monday Jan 24th at 1.00 pm.

Then I did all the necessary checks on the phone before contacting Virgin on 150. They could find no fault so passed me to an engineer who also could find no fault, and surmised that it must be the phone itself. I went online and ordered a new phone from Argos which I picked up today, set it up, and choose my ringtone from a choice of 10 which rang loud and clear on the handset. Then I tried ringing my landline number from a mobile phone. Nothing, the brand new, and tested, phone would not ring. So, I know now that it is a fault in the line or the socket on the wall and not with the handset regardless of what Virgin tell me. An expensive way to find out that there was nothing wrong with the original phone. I doubt very much that Virgin would send out an engineer at the weekend, so now I have the problem of contacting the hospital again and either asking these heroic, overworked people to re-arrange the consultation yet again, or pass on my mobile number, complete with dodgy signal, in the hope that I can have this 30 minute consultation without interference or breaks in the signal. I know that prices are going up and we all suffer for it, but if Virgin dares to increase the price of landlines again, which are, currently, grossly overpriced for the use most people get out of them, I will seriously be reconsidering whether to stay after 20 plus years with them. I am not happy.

Hi @gopete, thanks for posting and welcome back to our community. 

Sorry to hear that your landline is still not ringing for incoming calls.  I'd like to take a closer look and help you resolve this.  I am going to send you a private message.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi @gopete

Just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand.

Regards

Lee_R

gopete
On our wavelength

Yes. everything is sorted now. Phone ringing as normal. As the engineer connected the main phone with answer machine to the hub, which is in a bedroom,  and put the extension in the living room, I ordered a 10m extension cable from Amazon which arrived today, and I have just succeeded in putting the main phone base/answer machine back into the living room and the extension into the bedroom as I normally have it.

Thank you for all your help with this matter. In future I'll check out the Forum first before calling 150, as you got things done, whereas 150 seemed to shrug their shoulders and give up after checking that the Virgin end was ok.

Best regards

Pete 

Thanks Pete.

And I am glad that you've got faith to use our forum again, if required.

Regards

Lee_R