cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls - phone not ringing

AndyG9
Joining in

Hi

I've booked an engineer for next week but thought I'd ask here in case anyone could help.

I had a landline installed last week. This was actually a reactivation of an existing line in my flat. Not sure when the Virgin line was last used, but it's an old NTL socket. For the past three years I've been using a BT line.

I had a cordless phone which always worked without a problem on the BT line.

When the engineer connected the Virgin line, he tried calling my phone and the ring was odd. It sounded like there wasn't enough power, the rings weren't fully ringing and there were silent gaps. The engineer said he thought it was my phone as he said the line was fine.

So I went and bought another phone, and it's not ringing at all. When I do 1471 there is a record of the call, but in the handset call log there is not.

Going back to my old phone, it does ring but it's still a "weak" ring.

I took the new phone next door and it worked ok on the neighbour's BT line.

Outgoing calls are not a problem.

I've done a line test online and it came back fine.

Any suggestions I can try while waiting for the engineer would be appreciated.

Annoying that I bought a new phone when it looks like the problem is actually with the line...

81 REPLIES 81

For months I have been experiencing problems with my Virginmedia landline. Always told line is fine yet I have no dialling tone OR callers get Busy Tone. After umpteen visits from engineers who give different excuses for my problems I have had a dialling tone so can make outgoing calls. Discovered that the phone does not ring for incoming calls and hospital appointments are getting missed, which is critical what with the current state of the NHS. I have even bought a new phone as previous engineers suggested the phone is faulty....problem persists. I have a cordless phone also and hope to test it at my neighbour's home within the next 24 hours. I had a BT socket prior to  the installation of the VM one when I took  their package. Today, 11 Aug 2017 I have discovered that both sockets give me a dialling tone!! Not sure if this is normal. It is so frustrating that am losing sleep over the whole issue. Reading comments on this Forum helps as I  realise mine is not an isolated case.

Craig_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi VMLAD

Welcome to the Community, I'm so sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your telephone service recently.

I'd like to take a closer look at this from our end but I've not been able to accurately locate your account using your forum information unfortunately. So I can do that, could you respond to the private message I've sent with the requested information? You can view the message by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page.

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I am also having problems of phone not ringing for incoming calls.
The phone worked fine when first installed but now no ring.
This is a cordless phone and it replaced a standard phone which also had the same problem of not ringing.
So frustrating, I think Virgin needs to sort this occurring error out pretty fast.

Craig_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi DR1967

I just wanted to let you know that I've responded to your thread regarding this issue, which you can view by [clicking here].

We'll talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

DRUB9
Tuning in

I am having the same issue. Phone doesn't ring for incoming calls. Outgoing calls are fine. 

Tested with multiple handsets but still the phone is not ringing and in some cases no dial-tone also. The current handset I have works on all other BT lines. so clearly not the fault of the handset. 

Appreciate any help. 

Thanks. 

Collette_O
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi DRUB9,

Welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear that you're unable to receive calls.  

I have carried out some checks with the line remotely and all is looking ok from here so far.  Can you please power off/on the hub and let me know if this helps?

I'm here to help further if you need me.

Collette.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Hi Collete, thank you for your reply.
I just did off and on the router/hub. Still the phone is not ringing.

from what I gather from the replies on this thread is its something to do with the virgin line.
I can make calls but the phone is not ringing - and i have tried other handsets and they didnt work either. the unit i have is not faulty as it works on BT lines.

appreciate if you can resolve this issue.

thanks.

Collette_O
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi DRUB9,

Thanks for carrying that check out for me.  It helps to rule out a few things so that's super.

I will arrange for an engineer to call round for you.  All the details will be in a private message, look for the purple envelope icon above.

Collette.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Thank you. I am awaiting for an engineer to arrange a visit. 

thanks. 

Hi All, 

I am posting this for the benefit of future customers. 

Today an engineer found out that not all phones are compatible with Virgin Media phones. I checked about 4 phones which were working find with BT lines but failed on Virgin Media - eg- not ringing or no dial tone. The reason were

1. the phone was not compatible and/or

2. The cable leading from the phone to the router was not compatible. 

Suggest changing all and checking different combinations till it works. 

The engineer (Abdul) who visited twice was really good and special thanks to him as he was proactive and was not hasty to blame it on the handset being faulty. 

- Dinesh