cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls only on new phone also.

Maz250
Joining in

Just gone over to fiber optic phone, which my old phone did not support.  So i'm very unhappy that i was not told that i may have to buy new phones. There's nothing wrong with the old ones, just don't suit Virgin.  I had no idea what phone i had to buy, Virgin told me has to be a phone with a REN value more than 1. What!!!  I have looked at countless phones and none state a REN value.  I have just purchased one after reading what worked for another person on a forum.  Guess what???  does not work.  Still not getting incoming calls. Can dial out.   Help!!!!!

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Maz250 wrote:

Just gone over to fiber optic phone, which my old phone did not support.  So i'm very unhappy that i was not told that i may have to buy new phones. There's nothing wrong with the old ones, just don't suit Virgin.  I had no idea what phone i had to buy, Virgin told me has to be a phone with a REN value more than 1. What!!!  I have looked at countless phones and none state a REN value.  I have just purchased one after reading what worked for another person on a forum.  Guess what???  does not work.  Still not getting incoming calls. Can dial out.   Help!!!!!

The 'REN greater than 1' answer from VM is gobbledegook nonsense from the telephone support staff reading from an on-screen script.

Any modern phone should work on the 21 CV connection.

The issue most commonly reported on here is that old phones (early 2000s and before) do not ring for an incoming call (usually solved with a different phone adapter).

What is the make/model of your original phone?

When you dial in to your landline, is there any indication of an incoming call (e.g caller ID showing on screen)?

What does the person calling in hear when they call your landline?

When you dial out from your landline (to, say, your mobile) is the correct number shown for your landline on the mobile caller ID?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Maz250,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and we're very sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your landline connection after you've gone through the Home Phone Switchover process. 

Can you confirm if you're able to connect your landline phone to the broadband Hub with the adaptor that we have provided for the switchover? 

Do you have an active dial tone when you pick up the handset? Have you taken a look at our landline help page to see if this can help resolve the issue? Please take a look and let us know. We'll be more than happy to look into this further for you if needed.

Thank you! 😊 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you for your response, Yes the phone is comnnected to the Hub and i do have a dialing tone.  When dialed says unavailable.  I have phoned Virgin and they are now looking into it.  Thank you.

Thank you for your reponse,  my phone is about 15yrs old so not surprised Virgin optic does not support it.  It is a Panasonic.  The new one is also a Panasonic.  When i dial in from my mobile, it tells me that it is unavailable, and yes the correct number is shown on my mobile.  I have now been in touch with Virgin, yet again and hopefully this time it will be sorted.  Thank you for your time.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Maz250 wrote:

Thank you for your reponse,  my phone is about 15yrs old so not surprised Virgin optic does not support it.  It is a Panasonic.  The new one is also a Panasonic.  When i dial in from my mobile, it tells me that it is unavailable, and yes the correct number is shown on my mobile.  I have now been in touch with Virgin, yet again and hopefully this time it will be sorted.  Thank you for your time.

IMO a 15 year old phone may be on the borderline between likely to work/not work on a VM landline via the hub. I would say more likely to work than not.

Your description though sounds more like something has not completed correctly with the switchover (and checked by yourself using a brand new phone which still had the same problem).