cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls not ringing fibre broadband

Liz35
On our wavelength

Incoming calls not ringing since change to fibre. Virgin don't want to know,  tell me it is all working when it isn't. And have just cut me off, so much for 150

Two different phones tried and even plugging a single phone directly into modem via their adapter - it doesn't work.

Have elderly parents 200 mike's away my landline is important. 

Seen other reports but solutions were done via private message. 

10 REPLIES 10

Shark008
Tuning in
Overseas so called "support" seems totally pointless doesn't it when they just fob you off or pretend it will be fixed and to keep trying again the next day. Then they tell you they will send an email to "rate their performance" but you never get one. I wonder why !!! As least VM have an online complaint form now but for me it has not updated in over a week now and still no fix. The entire phone switch seems like a total bodge that has not been thought through and does not work properly. Fortunately my contract ends soon and hopefully the media will be picking up on this. VM need to realise that landlines are still a lifeline for some people and literally peoples lives can depend on it working.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Morning Liz35,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you're having some issues with the line.

Thank you for testing a different handset already, can you also confirm if you have a powered phone/ base station?

Have you also tried rebooting the hub then testing the the adapter connection?

Alex_Rm

Liz35
On our wavelength

I have tried both a phone with powered base and one without both connected directly to the adaptor provided and fitted by a Virgin media engineer on 13/6/22 to use fibre broadband.

The hub has been rebooted three times, first time by me before I phoned 150 and then other times on instruction of VM. If you pick the phone up when someone is calling (VM rang it while on my mobile with me, so they told me they were ringing it but no audible ringing) you get an answer so VM say it's not their issue its a handset fault.  However the handsets are fine, I haven;t done so yet but will go to neighbours and double check that using their landline - I feel confident the actual phones are not at fault as for two different phones to fail at the same time????

Been browsing and see this is an issue, techno speak about the line not providing enough ac current to power the ring, faults in the exterior box etc.

Spent 1hr 20 mins on the phone to 150 yesterday and gearing up to do the same today but if you can help, have any suggestions it would be much appreciated.  Thank you for taking the time to reply

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly 🙂

Are you able to try plugging the phone directly into the hub without the adapter?

Alex_Rm

Liz35
On our wavelength

Unfortuanately not as the plug on the phones is too big to go in the modem directly

Thanks Liz35,

If you are able to test the handset at a neighbours, as currently all tests are coming back fine from our side.

Let me know how this goes and we'll take it from there 🙂

Alex_Rm

Jumping in here as well as my phone is the same. I've had no letter confirming switchover date but did have email and an adaptor and my landline stopped working so I've switched over and still doesn't work. Get ringing sound on my mobile if I ring the landline but the landline doesn't actually ring. Tried different phones, rebooted phone and hub but still nothing. I cannot use landline and anyone ringing will get a ring tone but my phone doesn't actually ring. Service status says all fine BUT IT ISNT!

Liz35
On our wavelength

I have to eat humble pie - my handsets did not work at my neighbours (they are also Virgin) so it would appear I have to get new handsets.  Are there any recommendations for phones that work with the new fibre broadband?  I don't want to buy a new phone to find that doesn't work either.

Thank you again for your help.

Liz35
On our wavelength

My situation entirely, I am wondering if older phones require more current to operate the ring than is provided by the new system.  Just me reading too much on the internet with no actual knowledge.  So frustrating and it would be helpful if you were warned that aphone older than x years won't work.  Supposition only no concrete knowledge.