cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Phone - Work With Orchid Dialler and TrueCall Blocker?

davidm_uk
On our wavelength

Just received an email about this switchover. For quite a few years I've had:

1. An Orchid Dialler on the outgoing side of the wired connection. This allows me to route different types of calls, and at different times, to cheap rate call providers (eg 18185).

2. A TrueCall Blocker on the incoming side, which allows me to set up a friends list of calls that will be allowed through, a ZAP list of numbers which are blocked (and give a "go away" message), and all other calls screened before either being connected or sent to its integral call recorder.

How can I find out in advance if these will still work when connected via the IP Adaptor?

Also, like some others here, my VM phone master socket is a long way from my cable modem (which I assume is what VM are now calling a hub, or am I getting a new cable modem?). Is the installation engineer going to run new cabling to connect these?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@davidm_uk wrote:

1. An Orchid Dialler on the outgoing side of the wired connection. This allows me to route different types of calls, and at different times, to cheap rate call providers (eg 18185).

2. A TrueCall Blocker on the incoming side, which allows me to set up a friends list of calls that will be allowed through, a ZAP list of numbers which are blocked (and give a "go away" message), and all other calls screened before either being connected or sent to its integral call recorder.

How can I find out in advance if these will still work when connected via the IP Adaptor?

Also, like some others here, my VM phone master socket is a long way from my cable modem (which I assume is what VM are now calling a hub, or am I getting a new cable modem?). Is the installation engineer going to run new cabling to connect these?

From the past topics on here, connection of legacy equipment to VM's 21CV seems to be less problematic with 'voice' traffic on the line. 'Data' on the line seems to have been where problems have occurred in past topics on here. This is due to the way the audio is processed via the VM hub's phone connection.

Fax machines and security alarms which send SMS data have been mentioned in the past as having issues with (non) transmission/reception. Security alarms with speech diallers seem to have been OK.

Other problems noted have been to do with REN on the 21CV line which seems to be a maximum of REN = 3 (or thereabouts) for the phone connection from the hub (after which the line does not work).

The trueCall device can be remotely accessed by trueCall support and 'tweaked' to suit different line setups from VM (often to do with caller ID or line voltage IIRC) so would not expect an issue with the trueCall device.

I am not familiar with the Orchid dialler. If it is a vintage bit of equipment, and no longer produced/supported, you may just have to try it and see!

As advised by Tom_W1, VM should modify your home phone wiring (free of charge) as part of the switchover process to allow your existing extension sockets to work via the VM hub (whilst simultaneously keeping each item of equipment in its existing location).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @davidm_uk thanks for your post here in the Community regarding the switchover.

Unfortunately, as these are third party devices/software, you would need to contact the makers of these in order for them to clarify further as I'm afraid we don't have any information on this.

Please note though, that all providers will be switching over to this by the end of 2025, so it's something really that the companies should be aware of.

In terms of the location issue, yes it's the Hub (modem) it'll be connected to.

If you need assistance with either a long cable route from your landline to your Hub or a relocation of either landline/Hub, then we can certainly assist with this.

Otherwise, if you can relocate your landline next to your Hub, that proves a simple fix here.

If you need further assistance i.e. a technician visit, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Many thanks

Tom_W

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@davidm_uk wrote:

From the past topics on here, connection of legacy equipment to VM's 21CV seems to be less problematic with 'voice' traffic on the line. 'Data' on the line seems to have been where problems have occurred in past topics on here. This is due to the way the audio is processed via the VM hub's phone connection.

Fax machines and security alarms which send SMS data have been mentioned in the past as having issues with (non) transmission/reception. Security alarms with speech diallers seem to have been OK.

Other problems noted have been to do with REN on the 21CV line which seems to be a maximum of REN = 3 (or thereabouts) for the phone connection from the hub (after which the line does not work).

The trueCall device can be remotely accessed by trueCall support and 'tweaked' to suit different line setups from VM (often to do with caller ID or line voltage IIRC) so would not expect an issue with the trueCall device.

I am not familiar with the Orchid dialler. If it is a vintage bit of equipment, and no longer produced/supported, you may just have to try it and see!

As advised by Tom_W1, VM should modify your home phone wiring (free of charge) as part of the switchover process to allow your existing extension sockets to work via the VM hub (whilst simultaneously keeping each item of equipment in its existing location).

davidm_uk
On our wavelength

Better late than never! The installation engineer sorted it all out with no problem, and left with everything working as it should, including the Orchid dialler and the TrueCall Blocker. Before he arrived I had disconnected all of the phone extension sockets, just left the master socket in place, which those devices connect to. The engineer then just used a pair of conductors in an unused cable from the outside supplier junction box up to the second floor where the Super Hub is.

He also replace the lightning protectors with more up-to-date ones while here. Very helpful guy!!

Hi @davidm_uk, thank you for your post.

We're really glad to hear it all went well and the engineer was very helpful 😀

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact us. 

Regards,
Daniel

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Glad to hear you got it sorted but have you been waiting all this time 5+ months, from January 2023, for VM to come out and do the phone socket modifications?