Menu
pgould1972
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I need my landline phone restoring (back to cabled connection not through hub)

Moderator/Support please help. I have spent hours in phone and online chat queues and never had any support with this.

I need my landline phone restoring (back to cabled connection not through hub)

My cable was cut with street works before Christmas 2019. When it was restored, they connected my phone to the hub , which seemed ok at the time. Recently , even though it is not shown on the fault reports, there are several outages each week. I need to have the security of having a phone that works without the hub being active (which it is not when it goes down). Mobile reception is poor here as well (so please don't suggest that a land line is an outdated method of communication!)

I have vulnerable people (children) in the house and need to have a working, reliable phone. As I am paying line rental and additional costs, I would expect not to have to pay to get my original services back up and running.

Please help.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: I need my landline phone restoring (back to cabled connection not through hub)

VM install thought he hub now and do not install old lines.

Maybe a cheap mobile would be the better and cheaper option rather then paying line rental

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/sim-only-deals
Mush cheaper then a landline
0 Kudos
pgould1972
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: I need my landline phone restoring (back to cabled connection not through hub)

Hi, the old cut line is still there. It's not exactly a big job. Thanks for the reply.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VM will not repair old POTS lines they ill just swap people over the VOIP. Every provider is moving to voip by 2025 and VM are no longer installing legacy lines
0 Kudos
pgould1972
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the installation prediction. 2025 is some way off and as I am in lock down with elderly parents/relatives that need contacting and that I have my own young children, I am afraid to say that I need a reliable service (phone). I remember at the time the engineer having a conversation about vulnerable people at the property with the call centre to action the line. At the time, it was not significant, but obviously with the way things are now, it is. I wouldn't make an issue if it wasn't necessary, believe me.
0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It still is unlikely to affect the fix for the older landline wire, as if it was simple to repair then Virgin Media would still have done so rather than the swap.

As you were swapped to the Hub then the repair may well require cabling that Virgin Media don't really hold anymore - the separate phone wires are no longer installed anywhere. All new cable installs are either TV/Broadband coax only or a fibre optic cable - both which only support the Hub based phone service. All new customers to existing cabled properties will not have the phone wire used either.

The discussion around accessibility needs or other vulnerable customers is around whether you need a Backup Unit or not.

That is a battery powered device that sits in between the Hub and your normal home phone and allows a wired handset to contact the emergency services over the mobile network (emergency calls use any available network and not just the network the SIM is from) if the Hub loses power for any reason. If you need that then Virgin Media will arrange for one for your home.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos