cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have my adaptor for switching. I have tracked my phone cable from the base unit...

ROID
Joining in

I have my adaptor for switching. I have tracked my phone cable from the base unit and it seems to connect to a grey box on the wall outside where the virgin cable also connects. Do i need an adaptor? Do i need an engineer?

8 REPLIES 8

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello ROID

Thanks for posting on the forums, we appreciate you taking the time to raise this.

if you could elaborate on what the issue is or what you're trying to do we're here to help 🙂

Rob

You have asked me to switch my home phone using an adaptor you have sent to me and given me a date. I have checked the lead from the house phone base unti and it does not plug into anything so will be unable to plug it into a hub. In fact the lead runs out of the house and goes directly to a cable box on the outsuide wall which also connects to the fibre cable (and also has an outgoing lead to the hub which is elsehwhere in the house). So how can i plug the house phone into the hub when it is remote and already connected to the fibre outside?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ROID wrote:

You have asked me to switch my home phone using an adaptor you have sent to me and given me a date. I have checked the lead from the house phone base unti and it does not plug into anything so will be unable to plug it into a hub. In fact the lead runs out of the house and goes directly to a cable box on the outsuide wall which also connects to the fibre cable (and also has an outgoing lead to the hub which is elsehwhere in the house). So how can i plug the house phone into the hub when it is remote and already connected to the fibre outside?

You take your telephone handset, and its associated lead, and plug it into the back of the VM hub using the adaptor as per

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

Or are you saying you have no existing telephone wall socket and your phone handset has no BT plug on it (and the phone handset is hard wired into a junction box with a cable leading to outside)

The switchover instructions are below

https://community.virginmedia.com/html/assets/Switchover_Migration_Leaflet.pdf

do you currently use the standard telephone wall socket as shown on page 2, image 1, for your existing telephone connection?

You said

Or are you saying you have no existing telephone wall socket and your phone handset has no BT plug on it (and the phone handset is hard wired into a junction box with a cable leading to outside)

Yes thats more or less the case. There is a wall socket but the handset base unit is hard wired into it .. then the cable leads to a Virgin media junction box attached to the ouside wall. There is also a junction box near the hub but this is not used though I think it should connect to the downstairs extension. It may be possible to move the base unit to be downstairs with the wall socket near the hub but i dont know if all the other extensions will then work. Your people wired these things in. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ROID wrote:

You said

Yes thats more or less the case. There is a wall socket but the handset base unit is hard wired into it .. then the cable leads to a Virgin media junction box attached to the ouside wall. There is also a junction box near the hub but this is not used though I think it should connect to the downstairs extension. It may be possible to move the base unit to be downstairs with the wall socket near the hub but i dont know if all the other extensions will then work. Your people wired these things in. 

VM should offer to rewire existing extension sockets to the hub as part of the switchover process. They should do this free of charge.

Are you able to post up a photo of the current arrangement which might help explain what you have at the moment?

If you have an old connection box from one of the previous cable TV companies, the phone socket may plug in underneath along the bottom edge of the box (and the wall box will be bigger, about the size of a paperback book). In that setup, the phone would unplug in the normal way but from the bottom edge of the box as per first image below

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Self-install-no-wall-socket/m-p/4974944#M...

In any event, it sounds like you will need a technician visit.

Thanks Goslow. I think I need some input from VM or book a technician though the website they give you doesnt tell you how to resolve problems.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@ROID wrote:

Thanks Goslow. I think I need some input from VM or book a technician though the website they give you doesnt tell you how to resolve problems.

Wait for the VM forum team to reply here again, usually within a few days, to arrange a technician visit to rewire your phone extension sockets to the VM hub.

Hi @ROID thanks for getting back to us.

I would like to help resolve any issues you have with the landline switchover. I am going to send you a private message. Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the screen.

Regards

Lee_R