cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub3 VOIP compatible phone

Gill_EH
Joining in

Moved to a new property and got Virgin instgalled. As Virgin no longer provide landline for new customers has to be a VOIP connection.

Today was supposed to be the day the phone went live - but it is dead.  After long phone calls to VM customer support I have been told I need to buy a new set of phones as unless the phone has a REN number (no idea what that is) on the base, then it wont work.

Having just bought new phones a few months ago - I am not confident that a new set of phones will be any better and the VOIP phones that I can see online are more geared for business not home use.

I just want a simple cheap set up that works and 19 days after being connected to virgin I still do not have a usable landline type phone.

Not happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jem101
Superstar

@Gill_EH wrote:

Moved to a new property and got Virgin instgalled. As Virgin no longer provide landline for new customers has to be a VOIP connection.

Today was supposed to be the day the phone went live - but it is dead.  After long phone calls to VM customer support I have been told I need to buy a new set of phones as unless the phone has a REN number (no idea what that is) on the base, then it wont work.

Having just bought new phones a few months ago - I am not confident that a new set of phones will be any better and the VOIP phones that I can see online are more geared for business not home use.

I just want a simple cheap set up that works and 19 days after being connected to virgin I still do not have a usable landline type phone.

Not happy

You absolutely do not need to have a 'VoIP phone', and, frankly whoever told you that, doesn't understand the technology involved. Any conventional (well let's say less than twenty years old) handset should work with the adapter connected to the hub - if yours isn't working, ie no dial tone, then I would suggest that the most likely answer is that VM simply hasn't enabled the telephony feature on your account.

Oh, and despite the fact that the term does get bandied about quite a bit, the VM provision is NOT VoIP, which has quite a specific meaning.

Incidentally REN stands for 'Ringer Equivalence Number', it is concerned with the impedance of the devices attached to the line and basically tells you how many devices you can have and expect them to 'ring' when you get a call - too many and the system can't push enough current to get them to ring. And again, whoever told you that your phone needed to have a REN number (and it actually does), doesn't know what they were talking about!

It was VM's offshore call centre staff, wasn't it?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

@Gill_EH wrote:

Not happy

You absolutely do not need to have a 'VoIP phone', and, frankly whoever told you that, doesn't understand the technology involved. Any conventional (well let's say less than twenty years old) handset should work with the adapter connected to the hub - if yours isn't working, ie no dial tone, then I would suggest that the most likely answer is that VM simply hasn't enabled the telephony feature on your account.

Oh, and despite the fact that the term does get bandied about quite a bit, the VM provision is NOT VoIP, which has quite a specific meaning.

Incidentally REN stands for 'Ringer Equivalence Number', it is concerned with the impedance of the devices attached to the line and basically tells you how many devices you can have and expect them to 'ring' when you get a call - too many and the system can't push enough current to get them to ring. And again, whoever told you that your phone needed to have a REN number (and it actually does), doesn't know what they were talking about!

It was VM's offshore call centre staff, wasn't it?

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Gill_EH, thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

Sorry to hear that your landline is not working for you. And I am sorry for any impact it may be having on your household.  I would like to take a closer look on your behalf. I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Hi Jem101.  Thanks for your reply.  Yes it was someone from the offshore centre.  The advice didnt seem right to me so came on here for some advice.  I thought my phone should work as it is only a few months old and not wanting to spend more money on something that wont work if its the line thats not configured properly.  I'll be back on to them tomorrow when the call centre opens

if the tests show that the ren from the phone is less than 1 then 9 times out of 10 that's the issue a lot of old line-powered telephones, in which the ringer is powered from the telephone line, typically have a REN of approximately 0.8 and that is too low for the services provided from the hub.  there is plenty of phones now have a ren of 1 for less than £10 but if you know somebody who as their services through the hub that you can borrow to test it because they will always ask to see if you had tried another phone.