cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 upgrade - effect on "landline" home phone

steved8
Joining in

My Virgin package is changing and as a result I've just received a Hub5 in the post. Before I switchover from my current Hub3, please could someone confirm the situation regarding my landline home phone.

My current OOmph package includes anytime calls, renamed Anytime Chatter in my new Volt Gig1 package. My area hasn't switched over to fibre yet for phone services, and my current phone is not connected directly to the Hub3 - it plugs into the Virgin phone socket on the wall.

The Hub 5 installation instructions ask me to "disconnect the cable from the back of the phone........replace it with the one we have provided....next, plug the other end into the top grey port at the back of the Hub5."

I haven't been provided with any new cable. In addition, the router is currently around 10 metres away from where the phone socket is located.

My questions are as follows:-

1. Is the phone socket now redundant?
  2. Do I need to get a new cable from Virgin, or can I get one from anywhere (and if so, exactly what cable do I need)?
  3. We have a second "slave" phone in the bedroom. Will this still work?

Many thanks for your help.

4 REPLIES 4

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Morning @steved8, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the confusion that has been caused by the notification with the new Hub 5.

When the switchover takes place, the master socket and extension sockets will become redundant and you would be issued with an RJ11 adapter that slots into the back of the hub to accommodate the landline services.

If the hub is in a location that is not suitable for the landline services, this can either be relocated or we can arrange for wires to be ran from the hub to the handsets in a discreet and tidy manner.

Have you possibly been advised when your area is due to be switched over the new landline setup? 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

No I don't know when my area (Harrogate) will be switched over.

Just to clarify:- The instructions say I'll need EITHER a cable or an adaptor. I assume the adaptor relates to areas where the new landline setup is in operation. That's not Harrogate, so presumably I need the correct cable. 

I don't want to activate the Hub5 until I know my phone will work.

What would happen if I do activate the Hub 5 but also leave the phone untouched, ie still connected to the phone socket on the wall?

Let's take a closer look into this for you to gain some clarity for you @steved8.

Check out the envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for working with me over our private messaging function @steved8, and I'm pleased that we were able to offer you some clarity today.

Do please keep us updated with any service issues you experience moving forward and we'll be on hand to assist you where possible.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn