cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 5 - odd intermittent phone ring?!?

Welzy
Tuning in

Since moving from Hub 4 to Hub 5, I occasionally get a very short 'ring' on my retro telephone that is connected directly to the Hub 5. Needless to say I had no issues with it when it connected to the Hub 4. Anyone else having this problem or know a fix?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Welzy, thanks for posting on our help forum.

We're sorry to hear of the issue with ringing sounds in your landline connecting via hub, we wish to help out in the best way.
Would it be possible to test the line using a different handset or removing the adaptor so we see if the problem persists?

Also, have you tried to reboot your hub as this may clear out the issue?
Lastly, have you checked for potential area faults here that may be affecting your line?

Please let us know more, we'd be eager to assist further.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Welzy wrote:

Since moving from Hub 4 to Hub 5, I occasionally get a very short 'ring' on my retro telephone that is connected directly to the Hub 5. Needless to say I had no issues with it when it connected to the Hub 4. Anyone else having this problem or know a fix?

Read these two topics

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Telephone-keeps-chiming-and-cannot-dial-out/td-p/511...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Constant-quot-no-number-calls-quot-since-moving-to-I...

sounds similar

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Welzy, thanks for posting on our help forum.

We're sorry to hear of the issue with ringing sounds in your landline connecting via hub, we wish to help out in the best way.
Would it be possible to test the line using a different handset or removing the adaptor so we see if the problem persists?

Also, have you tried to reboot your hub as this may clear out the issue?
Lastly, have you checked for potential area faults here that may be affecting your line?

Please let us know more, we'd be eager to assist further.

Adri
Forum Team

Hi Adri_G,

Thanks for the reply,

I have another phone (DECT) which is working fine and I have swapped them over. The problem stays with the phone, but as I say its a 'retro type' phone with a corded handset and 'bell ring'. It worked absolutley fine on the Hub 4 and I have done no more than simply plug it into the Hub 5 and the issue immediately started.

Tried rebooting the rooter and faults in the area are irrelevant given this is Hub-based-line surely?

It is very intermittent, I get a ~1 second chime every 2-3 hours.....Perhaps this is related to other Hub 5 reported issues where older phones are connected or where users are experiencing the 'missed calls issue' reported on this forum?

It would appear the Hub 5 is putting a voltage on the line making the chime in older phones ring...? For context I am a VM employee of 28 years and ex-engineer. 🙂

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for your reply, Welzy.

As you confirmed above, this issue is present on your retro device only however we wish to advise there appears to be an outage affecting our lines currently:

We're sorry that you're still experiencing intermittent problems with your Virgin Media Broadband, Voice and TV service(s) in the area.
We expect our engineers to have this repaired as soon as possible.

We are working as hard as we can to fix this, however due to the complexities of the issue its taking us a little longer than normal.
Fix estimate: 14/10/2022 09:00:00

Could you please monitor your landline connection and let us know if the problem remains after tomorrow at 9am?
We'd be happy to assist further with any faults once the outage has been cleared, so keep us posted.

Regards,

Adri
Forum Team

Hi Adri_G

No change (assuming the fault was fixed at 09.00 on 14/10?) My  telephone is still having the same issue as described above.

Hi @Welzy thanks for your reply, I do apologise here.

It would seem to be an issue with the handset and it's compatibility with the Hub 5 here, if it's not happening with another handset unfortunately.

The issue is now resolved so it wouldn't look like this would be what's causing this. Unfortunately though, with device incompatibilities there isn't a great deal we can do to resolve things here I'm afraid. 

With that particular handset, the only thing I can advise is a replacement adaptor which may help, but no guarantees here - would you like me to look into sending one for you?

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom,

Please do sent me a replacement adapter, although I doubt this will cure the problem unless it’s been modified to address this specific issue. 

I do think you will get a lot of complaints from people with old/retro handsets as they migrate to Hub 5 and hub-based telephony due to this incompatibility. Like I’ve said previously, this phone worked fine on the PSTN copper service and when it was migrated to the Hub 4 IP service….. the Hub 5 is the issue so my recommendation would be to get your engineers on it to understand why it is intermittently putting voltage on the tine making these types of phones sporadically chime…?

Hi @Welzy thanks a lot for your reply.

I don't see the harm in trying this, but I can't guarantee it will resolve matters but let's give it a try.

Please allow me to send you a PM so I can get this sent for you, kindly expect this to arrive shortly and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Welzy thanks a lot for your reply via PM, that's much appreciated.

This is just a quick message to confirm that the replacement adaptor has been sent for you - please let us know how you get on!

Many thanks

Tom_W