Menu
Lynnyweeks
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How to change my landline telephone number

I was very nearly scammed last week but luckily my husband intervened and hung up the phone. Since then they have tried several times to call back so I have now unplugged the landline phone. As we have only just signed up with Virgin we would like to change our number.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to change my landline telephone number

Changing your number will not stop scammers calling. These guys have auto diallers that automatically call block after block of numbers on an exchange until they have tried every number. No matter what your number or which provider you are with you will still get these calls. I have had my number since 2000 & get these calls every few weeks since the start of the pandemic. So has almost every person I speak too.

The only answer is a call blocker phone. These will block some, but not all of the calls, as the scammers are using spoofed (ficticious) numbers, some of which are cloned from genuine businesses & households.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Lynnyweeks wrote:

I was very nearly scammed last week but luckily my husband intervened and hung up the phone. Since then they have tried several times to call back so I have now unplugged the landline phone. As we have only just signed up with Virgin we would like to change our number.

I have been using a trueCall call screening/blocking device for a few months and it has totally eliminated spam/scam calls to my landline. I posted some info on the initial setup process here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Nuisance-Calls/m-p/4324071#M136451

Other devices such as CPR Call Blocker and some BT and Panasonic cordless phones do similar things at a range of different price points.

Sending calls to answering machine and using the 'call screening' feature (where you can pick up during answer machine operation) is a free simple way to filter out the spam callers.

Most modern cordless phones have an ability to set a unique ringtone for numbers which are stored in the phone address book. This means you can tell from the ring tone if the call is from a known caller or not and then decide whether to pick up or leave for the answering machine.

Lynnyweeks
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for replying but I just want to change the telephone number. The Virgin Engineer said I could but I can't believe how difficult it is. Is there a Virgin telephone number I can ring to make this happen?

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In the face of the most excellent advice from @nodrodg you still persist. Well it won't stop the scammers getting to you. They use auto-diallers to work through every possible number combination. There are no new numbers in the system. All numbers for both BT and VM are recycled. And you may be given a number that it is on scammers' lists for particular attention. VM have no way of knowing that. So you could inadvertently be going from frying pan to fire.

But you ask a straight question so here is a straight answer. Phone VM on 150, select telephone faults and ask them to do it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Lynnyweeks wrote:

Thank you for replying but I just want to change the telephone number. The Virgin Engineer said I could but I can't believe how difficult it is. Is there a Virgin telephone number I can ring to make this happen?

In theory you could ring the offshore support number but that may well result in confusion and misinformation.

If you wait for a reply from the VM forum team on here they should be able to arrange this for you. There have been some recent posts where they have been able to do this quickly and effectively once they get to your message.

They usually reply within a few days but can take up to a week. This will probably be the most effective way to get it done.

Lynnyweeks
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. I will wait for a reply from VM.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the post Lynnyweeks.

We can actually see there's a known area fault at the moment but we can look into this change when this has complete, i'll include the information below.

Reference: C01142922

Estimated repair time: 08 OCT 2020 17:00

Thanks, Emily.