Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

How do we get help with intermittent broadband?

Hi

For the last couple of months we have had our wifi down on all devices for a few hours each day. We have done all the checks and rebooted etc. but it happens at random times and then comes back on for no apparent reason.

We really want to get an engineer out to visit, but that doesn't seem to be an option. Obviously it's working ths minute because I can send this message, but it comes and goes through the day. It's terrible service from VM as we pay a lot of money for something that doesn't work as it should.

Please can somebody help? We have tried all of the suggestions on the virgin website and just get nowhere.

Thanks in advance

SF

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do we get help with intermittent broadband?

There are ways of getting help, and this forum is the most civilised.  If you've had a technician out they should have checked power and noise levels are OK, so your problem may be intermittent, and before going any further, I recommend you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor, and then post a link to shared live graph.  That'll show us a lot about what's going on with your connection, but it won't give much information until it has run for 24 hours.

If you can also connect to the hub, don't usually need to login, but at the login screen click the link "Check router status".  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Can you copy and paste (as text, not screenshots) all of the Network log into a reply here.  That tell us what the hub thinks is happening.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi sfpick,

Sorry to hear that you have been having internet issues.

I've got a tech visit booked for you on Wednesday 28/10/20, 12-4PM. You can view or reschedule this from your online account with this link.

Thanks,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Desperate for some help and support.

I have had continuous broadband network issues for days and days now and cannot get through to Customer Services to get a resolution no matter how long I wait on the line. I’m just put on hold which plays music over awful connection and then cuts off randomly so I have to start again ... all whilst charging god knows how much because have to use the 0345 number - writing this over 4G on my non-virgin mobile which will have s cost. Gone through the online “help”service numerous times NOT HELPFUL and no option to book engineer. The status update changes randomly between no issues to sometimes saying  there is a known issue in your area which then has an arbitrary time for resolution which just comes and goes. I request email/text update and have never got any update or any contact. Missing critical meetings, virtual calls with my nearest and dearest and can’t do online University remote work, Already feeling isolated and alone and conned into carrying on paying for an expensive service that I can’t leave or change because you can’t cancel online and would leave Virgin in a heartbeat just for the appalling customer service . They are a massive company and an quick internet search means they are more than aware of the bad customer service and impact on people. I am at my wits end on how to get someone out to check my connection and equipment? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ktryall, 

I am really sorry you're having some trouble with the services lately and speaking to the team, I can assure you it's not the level of service we aim to provide. 

I've had a look at the back end of things from here and I can't see anything that would be causing issues with the hub or network. 

Can you advise how you're connected? Is it via Wi-Fi or Ethernet? 

Do you have a link to a live BQM we can take a look at? 

Is the hub in the up right position and in an open space to prevent over heating? 

Please let us know more on the issue you're having and we can help further. 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily

Thanks for getting back to me - connecting by wifi - hub is upright and central of the house. Nothing has changed apart from VM doing work in the area over last couple of months. Don’t know what BQM is and the light is yellow on hub.  My laptop does not have an ethernet port and wifi keeps dropping in and out - just came back on again. But drops in and out constantly so no consistent service at at. Didn’t work 5 hours ago and VM connect app says couldn’t connect now signal ok when i’m 1m from it .. but won’t connect in any other room. 

regards
Kaye

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. 

A BQM is a broadband quality monitor, if you have a quick search online it will advise on how to set one up and it's free. 

Once this has been done if you leave it 24 to 48 hours and share the results on here we'll be able to have a closer look at what exactly is happening with your service. 

Can you try that for us please?

Emma_C - Forum Team
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Emma - I will do that and post when I have some results. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

No worries, once you reply we'll be able to take a closer look 🙂 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

[url=https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/7f113f8783323bb0a741a861a87693fcea672419-30-11-2020]My Broadband Ping[/url 

hi

Here is link to BQM report as requested.. please let me know what needs to happen next it has continued to be intermittent all weekend. 

thanks

kaye 

0 Kudos