Menu
Highlighted
MSHAW1
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

How do I make sure that Virgin notifies my previous provider to end their service?

How do I make sure that Virgin notifies my previous provider to end their service after successful installation of  Virgin broadband and home phone? What about if I want to keep my old number? I can't find a description of the process anywhere on the website. Am I missing something? Can someone from Virgin please reassure me it's in hand? Also, I tried Virgin Media Help texting service and was asked for my security code (for telephone help). I can't see any way to set this up? All in all, a very frustrating start as a new customer. I hope someone from Virgin can help resolve this quickly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MSHAW1
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I make sure that Virgin notifies my previous provider to end their service?

Also, I've just clicked on track my order and the date for the installation shown their is a day before the date I was sent by email!!! I am not able to use the telephone help service at present, but urgently need reassurance that the installation and transfer of service from my old provider is not going to be a total disaster? Please could someone help me work out how to set up my security code for the texting service, so that I can get through to a human being at Virgin?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I make sure that Virgin notifies my previous provider to end their service?

Hi MSHAW1, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community 🙂

Great to hear you're joining the family. 

We wouldn't be able to notify your old provider on your behalf, you would need to contact them yourself to cancel those services.

In regards to the phone line if you haven't requested that you keep your current number already- you would need to make sure the line is still active and request a number port from ourselves

I've popped you over a private message so I can double check the installation date for you.

Kind regards, 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MSHAW1
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex, Plusnet tells me the new provider will liaise with them, which means other providers do this routinely. Why will VM not do it? For a straight cancellation, Plusnet requires 14 days notice. I'm not able to get on the phone with them for at least another week, which means I will be paying for duplicate services for about two weeks. Will you refund some of the difference, as a courtesy, given that I have been trying to get clarity from you for days now, only to come up against the same, vicious circle - "Please give me x y z from your memorable word?" "How do I set up my memorable word?" "Please give me xyz from your memorable word before I can answer that question?"? Repeat ad infinitum..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Most internet service providers use the existing telephone wires to connect your home to the internet and only one ISP can use these at any one time. So it you were moving from say Plusnet to TalkTalk, TalkTalk would see that Plusnet already had a 'lock' on that telephone line and could make all the arrangements to move them off and themselves on - they would have to otherwise they couldn't provide the service. VM doesn't use the existing BT telephone line at all, their connection is via a separate cable from street cabinet, so they would have no idea that you already have an internet service or who with. Hence why they don't lease with your existing provider, or even ask if you have one - actually there's nothing stopping you from having VM and BT or TalkTalk or Plusnet at the same time, some people do for extra redundancy.

You will need to contact Plusnet yourself and cancel the broadband contract but whatever you do, don't cancel the telephone line until the number has been properly ported across - if you do, the number can't be transferred and in all likelihood, you will lose it!

Unfortunately this does sometimes mean you have to pay both companies for a little while until it all gets moved across, that's one of the drawbacks of wanting to keep the same number.