Menu
ploo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

How do I go about requesting phone sevice (e.g. VoIP) via the cable modem

Hi,

I had an engineer out a few months ago and told me I could swtich to having my phone line via the cable modem (i.e. a VoIP like service) rather than the PSTN service I have today. This would be much easier for us as the PSTN connetor box isn't very accessible.

I've spoken to customer services, through chat, who told me to contact the technical team via phone (there's no option for this), finally spoke to someone on the phone via selecting other options - who initially asked if I wanted to disconnect my phone service - and then after talking more, told me it's not available.

Is there a team I can directly contact to request this or to check if it can be done? Customer services unfortunately don't seem that well informed on this.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I go about requesting phone sevice (e.g. VoIP) via the cable modem

Based on the posts which appear on here, the 21CV phone connection via the hub seems to be 'subject to availability' in each particular area as an opt-in.

Aside from the accessibility of the existing phone socket, is there any other reason to want to move to 21CV at this point? The operation of the 21CV connection depends on the reliable operation of the VM hub. If the hub is offline for any reason, it is likely the 21CV phone will be too. Past forum topics have also mentioned issues such as getting existing extension sockets reconnected to a 21CV line as well as issues connecting other devices such as burglar alarms and careline type devices.

Explained below

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone#whatishappening

0 Kudos
ploo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I go about requesting phone sevice (e.g. VoIP) via the cable modem

We had building works at our property and it's no longer possible to run a phone line to the socket. As I see it, we have two options (1) get an engineer out to relocate the socket; (2) swtich to the new solution.

I appreciate the points you raise regarding the reliability. I'm aware it's not a like for like service and we would need to accept the fact that it's performance and availability would be linked to that of the hub. However, of the two choices this would be our preferred option.

The engineer said it was available in our area and we could 'opt-in', but customer services seem oblivious to it. Hence I'm trying to find a team or number I can call to progress it. If it can't be done, we'll go back to option (1) but I wanted to see if it could be enabled.

0 Kudos
ploo
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 21CV - How do I go about requesting phone sevice (e.g. VoIP) via the cable modem

How do I check to see if 21CV is available?

0 Kudos