Menu
DAP2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How do I get my landline number cloned

Hi There,

I am switching to virgin in the next couple of weeks, when i signed up to virgin I said i want my number transferred which is fine,I just spoke to my old provider to cancel with them but they are saying it cant be cancelled as it would mean we lose our landline number so they said that it needs to be cloned by our new provider (Virgin) before they can cancel.

How do I go about getting this done?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do I get my landline number cloned

Hello

When you port the number to Virginmedia when you sign up you inform them that you require a number port, once the VM line is active you will have a temporary number for upto 10 days while the port is completed you will still calls on your old line unttil the port is completed, once the port is complete the line from your previous supplier will be cancelled as well as the account.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

DAP2
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thanks for this.

My current contract expires on the 7th feb, When I spoke to my current provider they said they cannot ensure the services will be cancelled on the 7th until our landline number has been cloned because they said if they put in the cancellation notice now (30 days required) it would mean we lose our number, which we dont want.

Are you saying that I wont need to speak to my current provider at all and that all the services will just be cancelled on the date my contract expires?
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

No you contract will be cancelled once the port is completed which normally takes no more than 10 days from when your Virginmedia line is active. You will need to cancel any other services you receive from them if you have either TV or Internet.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
DAP2
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Our virgin kit is being installed on the 25th Jan so i presume the phone will switch within 10 days after that.

In regards to cancelling the tv and internet, when I spoke to my currently provider they said they cant cancel the internet until the phone number has been at least cloned because the number is attached to the internet so they cant cancel the phone on its own and not the internet.

We also have to give 30 days notice so if the phone isnt going to be fully ported until within 10 days of the 25th Jan then that will be way too late as our contract expires on the 7th Feb.

Can Virgin not clone the number before it is ported?
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I am afraid that for a port to happen both lines have to be active, there is no way around this I am afraid, it isn't possible to port a number to a line that doesn't exist.

If you being installed on the 25th Jan then 10 days will make 4th Feb so should be fine.

Regards Mike

0 Kudos