Menu
Jimbrown27
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Home telephone problems

I have had an intermittent problem now for over 6 months.

Sometimes, during a long call, the line suddenly drops. Additionally, occasionally during a call I get dialling tones and the 'other' line apparently links to a fax machine giving me the distinctive shrieking of a connection.

Testing the line shows that there is a voltage issue on the line (nothing else is connected to it) and I should contact support. After contacting support on at least 6 occasions I am no further forward, having generally been told there is no fault, although on one occasion I was advised that a fault had been identified and I would be called back. I got no follow up call.

In desperation I have bought new phones and for a time things seemed to improve, but it has started happening again.

It may be unrelated but I also occasionally lose my broadband connection for a short (5 minutes) time. I can just about live with this, but the phone fault is becoming problematic.

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home telephone problems

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Jimbrown27,

Sorry to hear that you are having landline issues. Are you able to confirm how do you have your landline configured: is the landline phone plugged into the wall or the hub?

Has our online phone troubleshooter been able to help? https://care.virginmedia.com/care/fix-your-phone

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Jimbrown27
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey and thanks for the welcome.

The phone is plugged into a wall socket installed by Virgin and unfortunately the 'fix my phone' page doesn't help because my problem isn't listed!

A difficulty is the intermittent nature of the fault - it's now a couple of days since I had the problem. I should perhaps add that I personally haven't really experienced the fault because I tend to have only short calls - unlike a certain other member of my household!!

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks fore replying, Jimbrown27,

Is there an adapter plugged into the wall or are you able to try plugging into the hub? The diagnostics show you are on a DOCSIS connection for landline.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Jimbrown27
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again Corey C.

I believe I have a DOCSIS connection but I wasn't there when the installation took place. I had a telephone outlet at the router position (prior to cable installation) from which my main socket in the hall was fed. That is still the position but the "router outlet" was rewired on installation to give me the same effect. The main phone is too far from the hub for a direct connection. Everything seemed to work well until a few months ago but since then I have had this intermittent problem.

Do you think it has caught covid-19? 😄

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that information. 

To confirm have you been able to try an alternative handset on the line?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Jimbrown27
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As explained above, I have completely renewed my handsets.

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It looks like we might need to do some further digging on this and we'll take it from there 🙂 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Jimbrown27
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well that seems to have been a waste of time!

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry you're still having issues Jimbrown27,

I'll pop you a message now

Thanks.

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos