Menu
Sonofegbarin
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Home phone take over

I just moved houses. The previous occupants of my house used virgin media as the phone port on the wall is marked virgin media. I want to get a VM phone and broadband now, if I just order a phone and broadband online, would that work fine in my house considering there was a previous number in the house?

0 Kudos
Lee_C1
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home phone take over

Hi, 

I'll message you now and see if I can help.

Thanks

Lee

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Nicholas_k
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

We would connect your phone using voc,so basically you plug your phone in to the router,so yes all fine

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All new VM installations which include a phone service provide that service by way of a direct connection through the VM Hub which also provides the BB connection. It doesn't matter that there is existing telephone wiring in your house. You will get the next available number from VM unless you port your existing number over to VM. You have to get VM to do this and not cancel your existing line and number until the port is complete.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Jake_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

The short answer is yes, however the broad band is not run from the phone socket but a separate white box (called an isolator) that will have a small screw on coax fitting poking out of it to connect the cabling for the hub to, also the phone system now runs off the hub instead of out of the old phone socket you mentioned. You should be able to order your package online and even save some money on your install by getting a quick start install if your happy to do the install yourself with a kit with instructions to run you through the install.

Hope this helps
Jake
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Virgin Media Field Technician. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field or my personal experiences with my own set up at home. If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Want to save £50 off your bill by referring a friend? Send me a PM and I'll let you know how!

0 Kudos
Sonofegbarin
Joining in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

Is this isolator box something that is supplied with the VM installation kit? And what do I need in my house for this to work? 

0 Kudos
Lee_C1
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The isolator is the cable point on the wall. Usually marked as virgin media or another cable provider if it's an older box. It will have a screw on port to connect a cable to. If you already have the phone point it's highly likely it will be there too.

Thanks

Lee

0 Kudos
Jake_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi again,

No the isolator should already be fitted somewhere in the property if it has had virgin before as you state. If you cant find it inside you should have a brown or grey box on the outside wall of the property any old cable that came into the house you can then trace and see if they come through anywhere to an isolator if they don't go anywhere or there is no cables coming out of the box (check inside the box as well as sometimes an installer will drill out straight into the box if its opposite where the hub will be) then you will need a manned install from an engineer.

Hope this helps
Jake
I am a Virgin Media Field Technician. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field or my personal experiences with my own set up at home. If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos.
Want to save £50 off your bill by referring a friend? Send me a PM and I'll let you know how!

0 Kudos
Sonofegbarin
Joining in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have looked outside the property and I have seen the isolator box, a brown box marked virgin media. Out of this is a black cable which goes through the wall and into the living room and there is a small screw on coax cable at the end. I actually thought wrongly that this was the TV cable. So when I get my VM hub, I am to attach it to this screw on cable that comes out the isolator box right. 

0 Kudos
Jake_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi again,

Where you have found the cable on the interior of the property there should be screwed on to it the isolator (inside a white housing) which you can then attach the cabling for the hub to if this is missing you may need an engineer to fit an isolator for you as the cabling that comes with a QS package will have a female push on fitting that pushes on to the male screw on thread of an isolator. As a side not the outside box you found we refer to as an omni box or ETB

Hope this helps
Jake

0 Kudos