Menu
lexiedhb
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Home phone socket

Hi

Had Virgin installed a few months ago. One socket in the Living room, one in the kitchen diner. The one in the kitchen diner was to be for the hub and the home phone. However despite trying 100's of times, the TV ( Samsung) will not connect by Wifi stably, meaning the hub has had to be moved to the Living room, so that the TV can be wired straight into it.

So now I can not use the home phone in the kitchen diner as the socket is not set up for just a phone.

Anyway I can change the current socket in the kitchen diner to one just for a phone? I dont want to move the phone to the living room.

Or anyone know of anything else I can do?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home phone socket

If your phone plugs into the hub then wherever the hub goes the phone must follow. The only options are a wired extension from the hub or using DECT cordless handsets.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @lexiedhb , thanks for posting. I am sorry you've got issues with your phone service.  I can confirm the advice given by @nodrogd is absolutely spot on. 

Please do reach out if you need any further assistance.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
lexiedhb
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thats ridiculous. So you HAVE to have your phone next to your hub? Or connected by a whole load of wiring? I have 2 Virgin sockets coming into my house surely one of them can be Phone line only, it makes no sense to have to have the phone in the same room as the hub with no option to have it elsewhere in the house, as you can not have 2 hubs.

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry @lexiedhb . We've now moved to providing telephone service via our hub.  This is becoming industry standard sorry.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@lexiedhb wrote:

Thats ridiculous. So you HAVE to have your phone next to your hub? Or connected by a whole load of wiring? I have 2 Virgin sockets coming into my house surely one of them can be Phone line only, it makes no sense to have to have the phone in the same room as the hub with no option to have it elsewhere in the house, as you can not have 2 hubs.

There is no separate "wiring" in Virgins cable for the telephone. The hub converts both phone & internet to radio signals to send them down the cable. Virgin & every other provider are migrating away from Analogue phone services that use switched exchanges & separate wiring. These are currently being exploited by scammers as there are no verification systems that can be used with calls originating from the internet. Hence by 2025 all phone services will be internet based & will require an internet hub to use.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I cannot add anything further to what @nodrogd has advised.

0 Kudos
lexiedhb
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Oh well I simply wont connect the landline, and virgin will loose out on me using it......

So if you have a Landline only package, they would still supply you with a clumpy hub?

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@lexiedhb wrote:

<snip>

So if you have a Landline only package, they would still supply you with a clumpy hub?

That would be the arrangement that any telecoms provider would be moving you towards by 2025 as that is the target date to have migrated away from the current telephone network and onto a VOIP-type of service via the router.

From what you have described, your simplest solution would be to get a set of cordless phones. Plug the base station into the hub in the living room and use a second cordless handset in the kitchen.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You could leave the hub in the kitchen diner and connect the TV to it by either an Ethernet cable (directly) or a powerline adapter (indirectly).

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos