Menu
ellenacullum
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Home phone not ringing

Hi there, I recently purchased an a vintage home phone and cannot get it to ring. I can dial out and receive incoming calls (i.e. if I know somebody is ringing at that exact moment and I pick up the phone I can take the call) but it will not ring. I have read on this forum that I need an adapter with a ringing capacitor. Could someone please let me know what this piece of equipment is and how to get it from Virgin?

I have had an engineer out and he suggested it was a problem with the phone, however I've tried it elsewhere and it works fine. I have also called Virgin customer services who were frustratingly clueless and directed me to the sales team who tried to sell me a new router. 

I would be so grateful for any information anyone can provide - thanks! 

0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home phone not ringing

Hi @ellenacullum

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Did this work with previous handset?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
goslow
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home phone not ringing

@ellenacullum wrote:

Hi there, I recently purchased an a vintage home phone and cannot get it to ring. I can dial out and receive incoming calls (i.e. if I know somebody is ringing at that exact moment and I pick up the phone I can take the call) but it will not ring.

<snip>

I would be so grateful for any information anyone can provide - thanks! 

Am assuming you are trying to plug your vintage phone into the back of the VM hub.

Try this suggestion below first as a test, if you happen to have an ADSL microfilter lying around

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/No-Ringtone-on-Landline-Phone/m-p/4481972#M142763

if that makes the phone ring, it suggests you do need the adapter with a ringing capacitor.

0 Kudos