Menu
RuthsDad
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Home phone not accepting calls, outgoing OK

Since yesteday, when someone phones into our Virgin provided landline (region 07)  they do not get any ring tone just noise. Strangely, my TrueCall senses when they disconnect as it then rings the house phone etc, but does not show Caller ID.

I have disconnected the system back to the incoming phone junction box and plugging the house phone into this box and ringing into it via my mobile give the same 'noise' no ring tone and nothing at the house end. Waiting on the mobile and it disconnects. Nothing has changed with the installation since it was installed in 1994 in the good old Telewest days...we still have the Telewest junction boxes for both TV and Phone.

Please can anyone who has had this issue, I see that I'm not alone in this, and it resolved give some advice as to what rectifed it or what checks outside those above  that I can do. We need to get it fixed as the phone is the 1st poc for a relatives monitoring alarm. Thanks 

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home phone not accepting calls, outgoing OK

Hi @RuthsDad,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear you are having this issue. 

Can I ask if you have had a run through some of the checks here to help diagnose the issue?

Do you have an alternative handset you can use to test the line?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
RuthsDad
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ayisha_B

thanks for the prompt reply, Checked the link, and can confirm that all was followed to no effect. Unfortunately, we do not have another phone, the Trim phone that was replaced went to the tip some 10 years ago....should have kept it, be worth a few bob by now.

We do have a TruCall whic acts as a phone but uses leds to indicated call received etc. when I use a mobile, this stays a constant green i.e. line is good, no call incoming.

I take the Trucall out of the system by plugging the phone directly into the input junction box with the same effect. Irrespective as to my home phone, it still would not explain why numerous phonecalls in see just noise and not a ring tone. We have tried phonecalls in from differing telcos, with the same effect.

I have also used the automated system checker that Virgin provides that didn't find anything....it is probably only looking a line levels anyway.

Many thanks for you help though, I'll just have to bite the bullet and attempt to book an engineers

Cheers  K

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ruthsdad, 

I am sorry to hear the checks did not help, I can certainly help, I have located your account and can see you haven't booked a tech, we can do this for you from here, just keep an eye out for the purple envelope 🙂

Zoie

Zoie
0 Kudos