Menu
royjevans
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Home phone line no dial tone, just a loud crackling

Hi all

The subject says it all really - for over 2 and half months our phone has not been available. All we get is a loud crackle and no dial tone. The web-based tests say the result of their diagnostic is inconclusive. Intermittently - and annoyingly often very early in the morning at 1 or 2 am - the line rings once or twice then stops. This keeps happening. I can't contact Virgin because it's impossible to get through right now but this really needs sorting. Here's hoping someone at VM picks up on this.

I'm posting in the broadband section too as I've noticed my speed is now below 30Mbs so about a tenth of what I used to get. I suspect a cable fault but that's just a guess>

Based in Reading if that helps at all!

Thanks everyone and stay safe!

0 Kudos
royjevans
Tuning in
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Getting slower - Reading area

I seem to be experiencing the same as a few guys on here. My 350Mbs service is currently running at around 30Mbs wired, 8Mbs wireless. This is a recent thing - it was all fine a week ago so I assume something must have happened. Restarted the router a few times, and like someone just posted here a few moments ago, the speed moves up to around 200Mbs or so for a minute then degrades back to the slowness. I also have an issue with my home phone that hasn't worked for 2 and half months now. 

Getting through to Customer Services is nigh on impossible so I'm hoping the VM team on here may pick up on this. I know things are tough at the moment, but when you're trying to keep you job alive working from home I need to have these things working. All help will be very much appreciated.

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting slower - Reading area

@royjevans I have merged your threads as while separate issues they are probably related and having multiple threads will just confuse things.

It looks like you need a field tech to visit and sort out your land line and while onsite they could also run checks on your broadband.

If you can't get through on the phone then VM are recommending you send a text to 07533 051809 describing the issue and you should get a response, but it may take a day or two at present. This is a text only service, it does not support voice calls.  
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/When-and-how-to-use-our-messaging-service/ba-p/425...

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home phone line no dial tone, just a loud crackling

Hi royjevans, thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry for the problems you've had with your phone line. I'd like to help get this sorted but wasn't able to do so using only your forum details - so I'll send a PM instead requesting some info & hope to hear back from you soon.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hello royjevans

Sorry you have had to post on our Forums 

Looking at a few things from here I can see an engineer attended yesterday 

How did the visit go and was the engineer able to fix things for you 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
royjevans
Tuning in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth

The engineer said our cable is likely damaged and switched the phone line to the spare. Phone works now but is still quite crackly and noisy but at least it's just about usable. As for our broadband speed, that is getting no better or sometimes worse I'm afraid. As of now, I'm getting 30MB wired (over Powerline). Around 2 months ago I would hit 300MBs every time bar the odd exception. The engineer mentioned that high demand and a number or works in the Reading area are causing this, but I've lost 90% of my advertised (and paid for) speed and I am sure that simply cannot be right.

Anything you can do to help would be appreciated.

thanks! 

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hey there royjevans,

Thanks for popping back with what happened. I've had a look at your network details and can't see any errors or anything that may be an issue and I'm trying to be picky. Can you restart your Hub as I can see it's been over 7 days since you last rebooted. This should give us a clearer picture of your network from fresh. 

Can you try and perform a speedtest using a wired connection directly from your Hub and to a computer (so don't use the Powerline) so we can see the speeds in the most basic setup? Please make sure no other devices are using the internet and let us know what speeds you get? Please monitor for a few days and let us know how you get on

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
royjevans
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Lisa.

I will do both of those things and report back. As an fyi, when I last rebooted I got faster speeds for about 5 minutes before it returned to slower again. This time, I will disconnect everything else attached to the hub before performing the speed test. 

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes please do. Make sure you don't have anything using the WiFi such as cloud backups too.

Look forward to an update from you.

Thanks,

Lisa

royjevans
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa

An update for you:

The bad news first: the phone line has gone again. No dialtone, just a loud static and it's started randomly ringing at odd times again. All a acrbon copy of the problem before. The engineer suspected a cable fault when he was here at the start of last week and his switch to the redundant line is no longer working. Is there anything you can do to help resolve this?

Onto the broadband speeds: Things have gotten better - the wifi signal when on top of the box (literally) is superfast, in excess of 350MBs. Wired I could only get up to 140 MBs so not sure of the issue there. Wifi speed drops rapidly with distance. When 7 feet away - socially distancing with my hub 🙂 - the 5g goes down to 200Mbs. In the office at the top of the stairs about 40 feet away, it goes down to 10-12Mbs. Over powerline I get up to 40Mbs but that's more to do with the awful TP-Link wall sockets I just purchased (that reach nowhere near the 600Mbs advertised). The thing is with the Wifi the drop off never used to be that marked, and wired I got full whack - something seems to have changed somewhere. Perhaps an update to the firmware on the hub? I am not an expert is such things. There are still some parts of the day when the speeds drop across the board (I'm guessing due to demand) but if they are infrequent it's easy to live with.

Your help is very much appreciated!!

0 Kudos