cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone disconnected

tonybigwheels
Joining in

I've just had a call from my sister to say that our mother's home phone has been disconnected. It looks like this has been done as part of the recent migration to fibre. My mother only has a landline, and a 24 hour careline linked to it just in case she falls again. Now none of this is working.

I've tried to talk to VM about it, but they say there's a memorable word needed, I don't believe that one has ever been set up on the account, as Mum has been transferred form previous companies, and we've never really needed to call VM. The NO HELP DESK are now not able to advise what has caused the disconnect, or even if they will be able to sort it, as they say we've failed the security checks and can't discuss it. They have said they will POST a letter in order to set up a password, meanwhile my 85 year old mother has no phone, and no careline connection.

This is more than frustrating, and is down right dangerous, what are VM playing at?!?! Some people rely on their landline.

8 REPLIES 8

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there tonybigwheels,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Firstly I'd like to apologies for the issues faced with your mother's landline, whilst certain account specifics require security clearence, to run through some checks expect a PM from myself to investigate this further.

The message will appear within the envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi tonybigwheels, thanks for the messages and PM. 

I am happy to see that a visit is happening tomorrow and please let us know if there are any issues? 

Kind regards, Chris. 

KJB1
On our wavelength

Hello.  They did this to me and I was furious, and I don't even have a care help line attached to it. I received absolutely no notification that my landline was being switched over. They didn't send the adaptor in the post nor an engineer to make the switchover so they effectively cut off my landline but were still charging me. As I don't use my landline much it took me at least 2 weeks notice, but it may have been as long as 6 weeks.  Virgin Media were less than helpful when I complained. They were unable to provide me with a copy of any of the notification I was sent so I cancelled my contract and took my complaint to the Ombudsman (after receiving the required 'deadlock letter' from Virgin Media, who accepted the case.

They are currently investigating and will get back to me.

I'd encourage you to do the same. This level of customer service is totally and utterly unacceptable.

Hi KJB1, thanks for the message and welcome back to the community. 

I am sorry to hear that your line was disconnected via the switchover and we would have sent you a notification regarding the switch. It is saddening to hear that this was not received. 

I understand that this is now with the ombudsman and so please let us know the outcome. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

Virgin media have been no help what so ever. I have had numerous messages from the team and several failed appointments and they have been rescheduled on the supposed day. After the 4th failed appointment I have cancelled the new contract I had to sign up to in order to get the phone line reconnected, and I have now got a contract with BT who have been more than helpful, and it's half the price of VM.

I don't want any more dealings with VM and I will certainly NOT be recommending them to any one.

Hope you get your phone sorted.

Hi Tony, I am sorry to hear about the issues which you had with us and that the prepull took longer than expected. 

I wish you all the best with your new supplier and if you need anything please let us know. 

Kind regards, Chris. 

KJB1
On our wavelength

The Ombudsman have upheld my complaint, awarded me auto compensation, a goodwill gesture and a written apology from VM.  And yet VM insisted they had nothing to answer to. 

I hear your frustration, as I had similar recently.  I have heard back from the Ombudsman and they upheld my complaint against VM.  They have awarded me autocompensation for lack of service, a good will gesture and a written apology from VM.  I would urge you to raise your complaint with VM, get a deadlock letter from them (this is when you can't agree a solution) and then follow the Ombudsman process.  It is a bit of hassle but it clearly sends VM a message, and the Ombudsman know what a shocking service they are providing.