Menu
photony1
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Home phone dial tone

dial tone is a long pulse, as if someone has left their phone off the hook after calling. I can still make and receive calls but cannot use a fax/modem as it is looking for continuous dial tone. Bizarre thanks Tony

0 Kudos
Pawan_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home phone dial tone

Hi there my name is Pawan Paul I am a Vrigin media technician from the information you have provided I can give you some advice you can try Changing the handset see if that makes a difference if not then you would need to book an technician to come out 

All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field. If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos.

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
photony1
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Home phone dial tone

Hi Pawan, Thank you for your quick response, hope you are safe and well.

I have twin handsets, same issue with both. If it were the handsets in any way the modem would be able to dial hearing the standard dial tone. The modem worked fine last weekend and it's current message on screen is "no dialing tone", so it is getting the same "phone off the hook" pulse that I am hearing.

The surprise is that I am able to receive and make phone calls. I have just tested with a corded handset ( I keep in case the power goes ) and that is giving the same modulated "off the hook tone. 

Hi Pawan, thank you for your quick reply I hope you are safe and well. I have tried 2 phones, 1 corded. The same pulse "phone off the hook" with both. The modem worked fine last weekend. The modem displaying "no dialing tone" indicates it is receiving the same pulse tone, not the dialing tone.

I have tried the modem in the 2 RJ11 ports in the router, no dialing tone there either, although I wasn't expecting one. Can't test phone as RJ11 is the American phone connection.

Under current circumstances that £50 off my bill would be really helpful

Please advise and book an engineer for me if that is possible. Any day, anytime, not going anywhere soon, thanks Tony

0 Kudos