Menu
Jillyflower
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Home phone cuts out on incoming calls after about 10 seconds...

Home phone cuts out on incoming calls after about 10 seconds on nearly every call.  I was using some really old handsets so have bought and installed new ones, thinking it was the phones at fault , but, its still happening!

Any ideas anyone?  I have run test says all ok.   

thanks  

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home phone cuts out on incoming calls after about 10 seconds...

Hi @Jillyflower

Thanks for posting. My apologies for the calling issue. Can I ask, is this happening on just incoming calls or are outgoing calls affected also? 

If it's just incoming, is this from all numbers or specific ones, such as only on mobiles or landlines?

Let me know and I'll assist further

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Jillyflower
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

hi

Thanks for replying.   It happens whether its a landlines or mobile and it is only on incoming. I haven't noticed its restricted to certain numbers , it was occasional but is more frequent last 3 months or so. 

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Jillyflower

Thanks so much for popping back. 

I have located your account from your Forum information and can see that you get your landline via your Hub. I can see that you last rebooted around 16hours or so ago which is great. I have managed to run a few tests on the line from here for you and can see some incoming calls are shorter than others but the main issue was the test returned with what is called low REN. 

This is usually related to the handset or device you are using. Are you able to test another one for us to see if that helps? Preferably a corded handset rather than a cordless with base unit. 

Please also ensure that you have nothing else connected to the phone line like a Sky Box, Onetel box or fax or answering machines. 

Can you also pop back and let us know how your device is connected to the Hub? It will be one of the four below options: 

1. Directly into Hub via RJ11 cable 

2. Into the Hub via the adaptor 

3. Into the wall socket via the adaptor 

4.  Into an extension socket 

Keep us posted. 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Jillyflower
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for reply 

I am in Purple zone - phone is connected via hub 3 .  Connected via a phone line type cable which is into a black short adaptor type thing then into the top socket on top of the hub at the back.  I don’t know what an RJ11 cable is.

You mention the test returned low REN  - assuming this is the ringer equivalent number. is it low i.e. I have plenty of room or low as in not much space left.  I have 3 handsets in use which I have checked and should be under the 4. Previously I had 2 when this issue started. 

When reading a phone set up document, I notice it said if you have pulse or tone dialling  set to MF - what’s MF?  I couldn’t see an explanation for this.  Would it help , which should I use? 

Today of 4 calls 2 dropped out  2 didn’t .  

look forward to reply.
0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jillyflower, 

Thanks for coming back to us about this and for checking those aspects of your landline and handset.

MF is basically the type of noise that is emitting from the handset, so its a tone rather than a pulse which is used for call features. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jillyflowers,

I just had a further peruse of your services and have identified an issue with your landline called a "Ring Trip" which will need an engineer visit.

I'm going to send you a PM now so I can ask some further questions about the appointment.

Speak soon!

Thanks,

Megan_L 

0 Kudos
Jillyflower
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

i I have replied to PM thanks 

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi JillyFlower, 

Thanks for chatting with me in our PM, I'm glad we managed to get an engineer booked for this issue 🙂

Please come back to us on here after the visit so we can keep you supported.

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Jillyflower
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE - fixed..... Re: Home phone cuts out on incoming calls after about 10 seconds...

Technician came and did some stuff.... Was going to raise with manager to check as a few similair hapening,  Had call today to advise that it was a known issue and has now been fixed.  It is somthing t do with router calls. New IT and glitches!!   all sorted hopefully - Thanks all. 

0 Kudos