cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone call charge.

Alasta_r
Tuning in

Hi all, 1. I am using landline

2. I am connecting to a 'Bulletin Board System' by dialing the UK 0207 landline telephone                         number of the host computer.

3. I have Talk Weekends

4. How will I be charged?

5. Is this 'dial up internet'?

thank you so much for any advice!

Alastair.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Alasta_r

Thank you so much for your first post to our community forums and welcome to the team! It's so great to have you here! 

Can I ask you to expand a little more on what it is your are trying to do when calling 0207 and what this is for? 

We'd love to be able to help if we can! 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Alasta_r

Thank you so much for your first post to our community forums and welcome to the team! It's so great to have you here! 

Can I ask you to expand a little more on what it is your are trying to do when calling 0207 and what this is for? 

We'd love to be able to help if we can! 

Ash_c hi, yes no problem. 1. I am connecting to what is known as a 'Bulletin Board System', it is a piece of software installed on a computer in someone's home. The telephone line is connecting both computers, data is passed from one to the other audibly. The technology is a bit obsolete and fell out of commercial use around the mid 1990's, and preceded internet by about a decade. It is not what is known as a dial up connection because it is not 'the internet', but a one line connection between one computer and another and you cannot surf any websites. But... there are special terms in the phone contract re. 'acceptable use' and 'dial up internet', BBS's as they are known are not mentioned. I was hoping that my calls to the other computer would be inclusive so long as I keep them below the sixty minutes it is only one landline number calling another for a chat, except rather than speaking you are typing, although files can be shared via the telephone exchange. Well that blurted it out! Please ask away and I will do my best to explain myself, although it is only a hobby and I am a novice. Thank you so much for showing an interest in my questions!

Alastair.

Thank you for that information. As you're calling a landline number to make the connection it should be charged at a Landline number rate. But as sadly we wouldn't be able to confirm 100% with regards to that until you have used the number and then had a monthly bill showing any charges. 

If you have a broadband connection with us, this wouldn't be dial up. 

Have you had chance to use the number yet? 

^Martin

Martin_N hi, yes I'm a new customer and it's two weeks till the first bill, I can wait. Thank you for the help, would you like me to post you the charge as it appears on the bill, so as to be a help to anyone else who might be wondering about this unusual matter?

Can I ask you if there is a charge for dial up internet? I have not utilized it but would like to try and connect to it.

Alastair.

Good morning Alasta_r

Thanks for coming back to us. 

I shall send you a PM now to get further information so we can provide a definitive answer.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John hi, yes all done now, received the bill and can gladly say that landline calls to a Bulletin Board System are inclusive, thank Virgin Media you make a customer so happy!

Warm regards Alastair.