Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Home phone cable

Hi I recently had Virgin reinstalled and the cable they supplied for my home phone is too short. It needs to be at least 4 metres. My phone cable is connected to the back of the router. I bought a phone extension cable from Amazon but it does not appear to be compatible. Does this mean I have to buy one form Virgin? I do not want the box that was fitted to inside wall relocated as it is fine where it is for the tv. Can anyone help with my problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Home phone cable

The hub provides an RJ11 port so I think an RJ11 male to female extension cable is what you need.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Essentially you need to use american phone line type connectors, very similar looking but a bit smaller than ethernet

--If you think my answer helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi I have tried the cable you suggested but it does not work. The Installation guide says to use the cable provided as the existing cable may look like the ones they sent but the connections may be slightly different. I cannot see any visible difference but I guess there must be.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi I have now tried the cable you suggested but it does not work. The Installation guide says to use the cable provided as the existing cable may look like the ones they sent but the connections may be slightly different. I cannot see any visible difference but I guess there must be. I even tried another phone but no joy. I guess I will have to call Virgin.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am having the same problem, the new 5m cable doesn't work. Did you resolve the issue and how?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi bobbutler,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. Sorry to hear that your having issues with the cable we have provided for the landline. 

You can purchase a longer RJ11 cable from Amazon or Ebay if the cable we have provided is not long enough. Unfortunately these are standard length cables we send out to all customers.

If you are unable to purchase a longer cable we would have to arrange a technicians visit to see if there is an alternative option for you.

Please let us know if you are unable to purchase a new cable.

Kind regards Jodi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I bought one from ebay but the phone gave a 'noline' message on screen and no dialing tone. I dod notice the two were in different slots in the connector compared with the cable you supplied. I always thought thet were standard. Do I have to reinitiate the telephoneon the Hub? Or should it work straight away?

Best Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The adapter you supply Male RJ11 to female phone slot has 4 wires coming out of the hub side. The extended 5m cable only has two, does it matter how the 2 wires are wired? the cable you supplied has a different two wire wiring?

Bob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You would normally require the centre two pins on the RJ11 plug (3 and 4) and pins 2 and 5 on the BT socket for modern telephone equipment.

If you look into the RJ11 TEL socket on the back of the hub I think it probably only has two metal pins in the centre of the RJ11 socket (which would be pins 3 and 4).

Have you bought a RJ11 plug>on a 5m lead>BT phone socket? Leads with a RJ11 plug on the end can be wired in different ways for different purposes.

Or have you bought a BT plug (going into the hub adapter) to RJ11 plug which you are trying to plug direct into the phone base as a line cord? If so, you may have bought a 'straight-through' cable in which case pins 3 and 4 on both plugs would be connected pin to pin which would explain why you get no dial tone.

If you leave the short VM adapter in place and then use a regular 5m telephone extension lead (BT plug to BT socket which should be available from any local store) I would expect that to work.

0 Kudos