cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone VOIP switchover. No dial tone

tina-d
On our wavelength

Hoping someone can help and that I don’t need to buy a new handset!!

Just trying to switch the home phone onto broadband from the copper wiring (as instructed by VM) and failing.  Phone is Siemens Gigaset C475.  Phone was working fine on the copper landline before the switch attempt. I’ve rebooted many times since attempting the switch over, including reset with the paperclip. Internet is working fine, just can’t get home phone up and running. Phone is attached to power. Phone is now attached to the VM 3.0 hub with the VM supplied adapter, using the original cable on the phone that was previously plugged in the VM wall socket.  The supplied adapter is plugged into the top grey port 1, on the back of the hub.  There is no green phone icon on the hub. I’ve checked the connections are secure. Thank you in advance for your advice x

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @tina-d 

Thanks for coming back to us. From the Forum information provided and the system check subsequently ran, your migration has not happened. Please pop the phone back via the normal wall socket. 

I'll send you a PM now to book in the migration.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @tina-d 👋

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

Sorry for any issues in switching your landline services to VOIP. 

We have some further instructions here that may 👉 help 

Keep us posted!

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

When was your switchover day? If it was today, try the telephone wall socket and see if it is still working.

There are regular reports on here of the switchover process taking quite a long time (some reports have mentioned an overnight wait before the phone service fully comes back online via the hub)

tina-d
On our wavelength

Thank you for replying, Goslow, but the switchover was many weeks ago. I did try on the day, it didn’t work then, so assumed the switchover wasn’t yet live, and I wanted to retain my stable copper landline connection for as long as possible, as opposed to our inevitably unpredictable internet connection. Our copper line is apparently due to be switched off during October, hence my switching over now!! Yikes 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Your reply is a bit confusing.

The phone either works from the telephone wall socket or from the back of the hub but can't be both together.

VM sends out the adapters early, usually quite some time before the actual switchover date.

If your copper phone line is not due to be switched off until October then you would remain using the conventional wall socket until the October switchover date.

Usual process on switchover day is to leave the phone plugged into the wall socket until it stops working, then try the connection from the back of the VM hub.

Hi @tina-d 

Thanks for coming back to us. From the Forum information provided and the system check subsequently ran, your migration has not happened. Please pop the phone back via the normal wall socket. 

I'll send you a PM now to book in the migration.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

tina-d
On our wavelength

Goslow, apologies if my reply was confusing. 

goslow said - The phone either works from the telephone wall socket or from the back of the hub but can't be both together.  

Response -  The phone works when attached to the wall socket.  This line is kept live until the switch off. The VoIP and copper lines are available to users concurrently (either/or) until the copper line is switched off in October. Until I solve the problem, when my phone is detached from the wall socket and set up on the hub for VoIP, the phone does not work. For other users in our area who have switched over already, the VoIP has been available and working for many weeks. 

Goslow said - VM sends out the adapters early, usually quite some time before the actual switchover date.
Response - yes, we received ours many weeks ago, well before the “actual switchover date”. 

Goslow said - If your copper phone line is not due to be switched off until October then you would remain using the conventional wall socket until the October switchover date. Response - Yes, that is what we have been doing, although we did not need to. However, because the copper line is due to be switched off, I now need to move over to VoIP and ensure this works, before the switch off when I will no longer be able to use the copper line. 

Goslow - Usual process on switchover day is to leave the phone plugged into the wall socket until it stops working, then try the connection from the back of the VM hub. Response - As above. 

tina-d
On our wavelength

Hi John-GS, Thank you for your response and thanks for your action.  VM Customer Services told us weeks ago we could use either/or until the switch off. Hopefully the migration will work. Fingers crossed. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

See reply from VM forum team member John_GS above and offer to resolve.

Hi @tina-d 

Thanks for joining me on PM.

I was glad customer care were able to help you.

Please do pop back if you ever need further help but if it is a PM needed, we will need to go through Data Protection first.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team