cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone Issues

dsm001
Joining in

My landline is having issues. it started with the caller ID not always showing, rather than displaying the number, or name if in the address book, it shows 'Incoming Call', although this isn't always the case, it does work properly occasionally.  It also won't dial out at times, you get the dial tone, dial the number and then it just returns to the dial tone, and then when it does work the line is either very noisy, or it sounds like you are in an echo chamber.  We have 2 handsets, and it is doing it on both, so am thinking it would be a strange coincidence for them both to have failed at once, unless its the base unit.  The phones are not very old though.  Is there something I can try, other then purchasing another phone?

Regards

David

4 REPLIES 4

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @dsm001

Welcome to the community. 

Sorry to hear you're currently experiencing issues over your landline. 

Can you confirm if you have the phone plugged into the master socket or an extension socket? 

How many pieces of equipment are connected to the phone line other than the phone?

There are a few troubleshooting checks I will need you to perform to see if they are successful in resolving the issue. Can you: 

• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON.
  • Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets.
  • Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in.

Let me know if any of these checks work at all, or if anything changes with the dial tone or call quality.  

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Carley

I can confirm that the phone is plugged into the Master Socket and that no other equipment is plugged in.  There are no extensions off the Master Socket and it is the VM one.

I have tried plugging the phone into a neighbours socket and it all works fine, so doubting it is the phone, as once plugged back into my VM Master Socket the issues return.

Regards

David

Thank you for checking and confirming this @dsm001. Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks so much for your private message @dsm001, I have now booked you a visit for phoneline issue – you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.

If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Here to help 🙂
Carley