Menu
Teejay27
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Home number spoofed

We had a number of calls in succession on our home phone number late last night and finally rang 1471 to see was calling.  We very rarely use the landline and have been thinking of dropping it - this may seal the decision.

A very irate lady claimed that somebody using our phone number had been targeting her mother and tried repeatedly to scam her out of £400.  I explained that we rarely use the landline and that the number must have been spoofed.

We reported the incident to the police this morning and I have spent much of the day either caught in a loop thanks to the triage bot or listening to dodgy music while waiting for somebody to answer the phone so that I could report it to Virgin.

On the off chance that anyone still works at Virgin Media please accept this as notice that we have had a problem which I would like to report...

... and that I am considering dropping the landline (and probably the TV) from our current package.

0 Kudos
goslow
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home number spoofed

Unfortunately, there seems to be increasing mentions on the forums of real customer numbers being used as fake caller ID for scam calls. Usually, the numbers being misused by the scammers do not seem to be kept in use for very long so, hopefully, your inbound calls from annoyed scam call recipients should subside in due course.

If you make little/no use of the landline phone, you could try unplugging it for a time or turning off the ringer and screening calls on caller ID or letting calls go to answering machine only.

If the automated dialling software only ever gets ringing or an answering machine, your number will gradually be demoted on the scam lists and the frequency of calls will subside. Some people have reported on here that this has happened quite quickly. My own experience has been that it took several months to happen.

Even if you get some respite from the scam calls by trying the above, they will eventually come back again, sorry to say.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

BT have changed the rules on Caller ID. they request calls without a valid caller ID now so more scammers are spoofing real numbers.

The phone system was designed so long ago that security was never really built in. If i call someone i can send them any caller ID i like and the phone system has no way at all to verify its valid or not.

There is no way you can stop someone spoofing your number. Its a bad system.

i know this as i spoof 1000's of calls every day. Its by design that this can be done.

If you couldn't every outgoing VM call for example would have to be a DDI and wouldn't;t be able to spoof the CS number for all calls

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

KH9
Just joined
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It is a pity nothing can be done. I have had a person calling me twice yesterday - first returning a missed call and then again because he received a scam call. Luckily I knew about spoofing and I could explain what happened.

The problem is that someone might complain and give your number to the police thinking you're a criminal.

0 Kudos