cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home land line number not transferred when initially requested !

Olli92
Tuning in

Hi, 

can any body assist with this. 

I am absolutely Shocked by the incompetence of certain virgin media  staff over the phone. 

when I initially joined virgin media, I spoke to the consultant and had made them aware of my needs including the TRANSFER OF CURRENT LANDLINE NUMBER, to virgin. The consultant said this would all be sorted at their end and nothing needs to be done. 

Up on cancelling with my previous provider, in which the line was active. There had been no movement from virgin to transfer the number and when i chased them up (virgin), they said unfortunately this will not be possible, as by then it was too late. Bt had cancelled the broadband and home phone. 

I spoke to BT, and they said when the line is active, virgin can not transfer the number as the number belongs to open reach so once the line is deactivated, the landline number essentially becomes an orphan number in which virgin can apply to become an owner. 

Having spoken to virgin customer service, they have advised me that the line needs to be active in order for the number to come across, so therefore i am getting mixed messages from both parties so now i am concerned that ive lost my previous land line number and absolutely disappointed with the over promising and under delivering behaviour from virgin. 

So now im not sure what to do. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

6 REPLIES 6

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

BT advised you wrong, you need both lines active on the day of migration. I would complain to BT, perhaps they can reinstate your BT line so you can attempt the transfer again

Thank you for your response. 

Clearly poor handling by virgin media, i am absolutely devastated by the outcome, as I had clearly stated to them when initially taking out the contract, i would like to keep my number. 

so by the looks of things, I have lost my landline number. Although I have been miss informed by BT, I had made my request known to virgin, and at this point, my bt line was active. 

I regret joining virgin media, clearly shows how money hungry the company is. 

Avoid at all costs

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Olli92,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you're having with your landline number being ported from your previous supplier.

I've spoken to our Telephony Porting Team who has checked the number and have advised that as it's a dead line, it cannot be ported in that current state following Industry Guidelines. If the line is already disconnected, we're unable to port the number I'm afraid.

We advise that where a customer wants to port, they should always contact the new Provider, which unfortunately you did and we didn't process the order for you, which is clearly an issue on our side 

Please see the Cease and Provide section following this link - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/advice-for-businesses/switching/switching-landline

Please contact BT to get the line active again and one the number is fully active (if you ring the number and it rings) then we can quickly submit the request to port the number.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven, 

thank you for your response, but that is just poor from yourself. 

As it happens, I have had my old number ported over and this was with out the line being active. 

So again, just virgin staff consistently advising incorrectly. 

Just a note for others in the future. The line was deactivated and virgin were too slow to do their job. 
In the end, I requested Virgin to do a number change to get my old number back and this had taken a week to process, but it has finally been sorted.

As I have displayed here,  no accountability and quick to pass responsibility.

Hi Olli92,

Thank you for reaching back out to us glad to see you get your number ported over, although you managed to get it back without it being active this would have been a joint effort between BT and us, they would have made it active there end so we can take it.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused by this no being done in the first place.

Regards

Paul.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Next time do not cancel your old service, let the winning provider take care of that so this doesn't happen again