Menu
Sheila8
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Home Phone

I am switching from BT to Virgin for my land line  tomorrow, but I can't get through to the technical dept at Virgin to confirm that I can retain my existing BT number.

Can anyone clarify this

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home Phone

Good Afternoon Shelia8,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

Landline numbers can be switched over but both numbers would still need to be active.

If your BT number is due to disconnect tomorrow, I'd advise calling them and advise of your intention to port the number over to see if they can push back your disconnection, or can keep a hold of the landline number for you.

We can request the number from BT over the Community Forums, but if the number were to disconnect in the meantime, this may well jeopardise the port to Virgin Media.

Can you confirm when the BT number is set to be disconnected?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sheila8,

I have been speaking to a colleague who's one of our experts in our landline services and has advised me that a number port will take priority over a disconnection.

However, as this is due to cancel tomorrow, we will need to act fast, if we're to have this ported to Virgin Media. 

Can you please check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Sheila8
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you David

We have not yet informed BT that the number will move over to Virgin because we wanted to make sure the Virgin set up was in place before giving BT any disconnection instructions.

Presumably, once the engineer has visited tomorrow and set up the Virgin line, and we can see that it works correctly, then we should instruct BT to disconnect.

Never having been through this operation before, we wanted to make sure we did not prematurely terminate the BT connection.

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sheila8,

Thanks for getting back to us, David, has messaged you to look into the matter. Have you received the message?

Zoie

0 Kudos
Sheila8
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

Landline set up today went without a hitch, and we've received our upgrade to 200Mgbt internet connection.

Only problem is that the engineer was given the incorrect landline phone number by the sales team who handled our order. It will take 'up to 5 working days' for the Virgin landline to be installed, at which point the BT landline signal will go dead and we can terminate our BT service.

However, the delay is annoying, and I'd like to get some compensation from Virgin for the lost use of the landline (the new contract starts today)

Should I just contact the sales dept by phone to register this matter, or is there an 'online' method to use?

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sheila, 

Thanks for your post I am glad your install went okay, are you porting over a number? 

If so I can look into this? Then number will need to be active 

Zoie

0 Kudos
Sheila8
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Zoie

Thanks for your reply. The engineer was very helpful, and provided a connector which he plugged into the back of our Hub 3 router.

Apparently, Virgin will activate our phone 'within 5 working days' - with the same phone number as with BT - then all we do is to plug our existing phone lead into this new connector and we're then set up. The irritant is that the engineer was given an incorrect BT landline number by the Virgin sales team, so we have to wait until the set up is complete. Our new contract started on 12th Feb, so we're paying for the landline but cannot use it until the set up is complete - meanwhile we are still paying our BT landline charge.

Any suggestions? - should I just contact Virgin sales team and explain the situation and ask for a reduction in direct debit for the first payment?

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply and update, Sheila8,

We will be able to take care of it from here, just let us know when everything is sorted so that we have the right number of days to make the adjustment to your bill.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Sheila8
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Has anyone had the following landline problem?

Conversion to Virgin from BT took place yesterday (19th Feb), but new phone number had changed - we'd lost our old BT number which we've used for 26 years. We had told both the Virgin Sales team and the engineer who visited on 12th Feb that it was essential to keep our old BT number. I contacted Virgin Tech Dept by phone yesterday ( a 30 minute wait) and explained the problem - I was not a happy person!

The very pleasant lady I spoke to (Kim) said she'd get the problem looked at and they would email me early next week.

When I tried the landline this morning, my old BT number had returned, and the new Virgin number was 'unavailable', so problem solved, but no email received from Virgin to confirm this change or explain anything.

Have got there in the end, but v stressful situation, and should not have happened.

0 Kudos