Menu
pdomanski
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Home Phone

Late last year I had problem with my home phone (no dialling tone). Engineer call arranged and duly carried out. At the time he said there was a problem with a local connection box which had been damaged by a vehicle and he connected my phone through my modem. I have a few problems with this which I have recently discovered:

1  ! of my phones no longer rings on an incoming call.                                               2 If my modem goes down, so does my phone line                                                   3  If I wanted to change ISP what would happen to my phone.

Since the engineer visited I have found there was no problem with the connection box and a friend a few doors away had the same fault, but his engineer fixed his problem properly. 

I want my system restored as original as I am paying a lot of money for a service which is less than acceptable (what do you reckon of my chances)?

0 Kudos
Scott_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home Phone

The old system is being phased out so you would not be able to go backwards now. All new connections are done this way now.
If you were to leave then you can take the phone number with you to who ever you go to, but hopeful you will stay with us.
As for 1 of your phones not ringing, this could be due to the fact the phone is an older phone and the ringer part of that phone is not compatable with the way it is set up at the moment. It would need a tech to come and look at this after the lockdown.
If you need to make an emergency call on your landline if there is a fault with the hub or power cut etc, you can get a battery back up unit that connects to the line. These will only let you call 999 etc emergency numbers.

If my answer was helpful to you please mark you post as helpful answer.
Thanks Scott

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
pdomanski
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, although it does not really address my situation.

This problem arose because your engineer was late to the appointment and connecting via the hub was his quickest way to rectify the problem, rather than go to your outside cable entry point and fix the fault. Plus he obviously lied about the connection box being damaged (as I discovered)

This system may now be non reversible but I was not informed of this at the time . As to not being able to make a phone call when the power is off or there is a fault with the modem is completely ludicrous. As this problem now appears to be of Virgin's (or their engineers) doing, expecting me to purchase a backup battery system is an insult. This is Virgin's **bleep**-up and needs rectifying, quickly.

0 Kudos
Scott_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

we supply the battery back up free of charge

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
pdomanski
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Scott_B, I'll await delivery of said battery pack.

Rgds Paul D

0 Kudos
Scott_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Great.
You got hold of someone to send one out for you then?

If I helped could you please do me a favour and mark my original reply to your post as a helpful answer, this is how my manager will measure my performance on the forum.
Thanks Scott

0 Kudos
pdomanski
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Further to my previous message. I ran a line test yesterday and it stopped after 15% and said there was a wiring problem somewhere in the house and it cut the phone off. I reset the modem and all was back to 'normal'. I have not been able to contact anybody regarding a backup system. My other concern is, as previously stated, that 1 of my phones no longer rings on incoming calls. Virgins online blurb regarding this new connecting system states that all existing phones would work as normal (not true obviously). I still believe that the system can be reversed because if I left Virgin (possible) my new ISP would need to connect me to their system.

Now for something completely different! My internet speed is woeful, told I am getting up to 100mbps but independent speed test showed 27mbps, Virgins own test was even slower. I know the answer will be that because of the pandemic more people are working on line and this slows it down. I am not particularly interested in that, I am paying for 100mbps and expect to get somewhere near it. I could get speeds of 1 or 2 and this would be "up to 100mbps". Needs sorting.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi pdomanski,

I am sorry for the phone and broadband issues. As the phone is now connected via the router, we'd not be able to reverse this I'm afraid. 

I've ran an account diagnostic today and there are no issues showing with either service. 

How are you testing the speeds please, wired/wireless? Also what devices are being used to test the speed? 

Relating the phone not ringing, have you tried unplugging it and re-plugging it in to test it works? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
pdomanski
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello John_GS, thanks for responding.

I am running Virgins online speed test, wired. Came back at about 23mbps.

Concerning the phone, it worked prior to the switch over, and nothing has changed, except the connection.

Rgds Paul

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Okay thanks. Can you reboot the router and indeed the one phone that's not working?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos