cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone not ringing (have dial tone)

Trickie25
Joining in

Moved to virgin, including home phone a few weeks back.  All settling pretty well, except, my home phone doesn’t ring !  Old style wired handset with bell ringer…..

interestingly I have a splitter added with an additional DECT phone which DOES ring.  Have unplugged splitter, DECT and tried the old phone directly plugged in - cannot get it to ring even though I have dial time and can make calls.

phone rang on BT line with splitter !!

10 REPLIES 10

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Trickie25,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your landline connection!

Can you tell us what your landline set up is currently looking like? Is your landline plugged into the wall or to the Broadband Hub through an adaptor? 

Please take a look at our Fibre Landline page for more information about this and how to set this up. Let us know so that we can assist further if needed.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Paulina

the line is plugged directly into Hub 5, not using any internal cabling

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Trickie25 

I, too, suffered this issue when I migrated.

Here is an explanation provide to me by another VIP @Tudor  :

I would guess that the old phone is not ringing due to the hub interface only presenting two incoming signal wires and no third ‘ring’ wire. The third wire is via a capacitor from one of the incoming wires. You could probably rectify this yourself.

My phone wires are presented throughout my home over the two blue and blue/white Ethernet cable wires. This is/was a standard method of use in offices. There is a ‘dongle’ that plugs into an RJ45 socket with a standard British phone socket in it, this contains a capacitor to provide the third ‘ring’ wire.”

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Trickie25,

Thanks for coming back to me about this. Once you receive the adaptor, you'll need to plug the landline into the adaptor and then the adaptor into the Hub.

Let me know if you come across any issues when you receive the adaptor. We're here to help.

Thank you! 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Hi Paulina

there is already an adapter (RJ11 to PSTN) that my extension cable is plugged into

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Trickie25,

Thanks for confirming! Apologies for that. Do you have a spare landline phone available nearby to see if this issue is active using another phone as well? 

Please take a look and let us know. 

Thanks!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

I have a DECT handset plugged into the splitter and that rings, but think it generates its own ring sound.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Some people have reported success with this for the non-ringing problem with old phones

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393200143905

which has the ringing capacitor inside. You would swap the VM adapter with this one.

No guarantees at all it will solve your problem though so keep that in mind if you decide to take a punt and try it.

It is a generic part

RJ11 plug to BT socket adapter with ringing capacitor

so you don't need to buy specifically from the eBay site above.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Are you able to make and receive calls when that handset it plugged in?

Have you tried to reboot your broadband Hub since plugging your landline in?

This can also help clear any issues with the connection.

Thanks!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team