cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone - VOIP - Incoming Calls NOT getting through

colmax
Dialled in

I have a terrible problem trying to receive incoming calls to home phone which is VOIP and connected straight into a HUB 3.0 - Have rebooted HUB - to no avail! Presently have a family member receiving medical care at home so often having docs and other medical staff calling us to check on progress etc. Friends and family in same situation when they call into us. We answer the phone (display says INCOMING CALL) but the line is dead - no tone or other noise. Have to do 1471 to find out who it was and to then call them back. This was happening now and again but its now with almost every received call. I cannot even get through from my own mobile. Tried for 26mins 39secs with Cape Town help desk who promised to get me to a technician but that was cut off. Can someone PLEASE PLEASE Please help from VM Team??????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Engineer arrived at 8'sharp this Saturday morning. Very helpful and checked everything out. Removed an attenuator from back of HUB 3 as no longer required and replaced a phone cable between Burnside emergency phone supply unit and HUB3. So far all good. Very impressed with speed of response from Virgin. Time will of course tell how the fix stands up....

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi colmax, 

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry to hear your landline is not working as it should be currently. 

In order to help look at this, there are a few checks we will need to go through with you. Can you let me know the following please:

• As you're connected through the Hub can you ensure the adapter is plugged in correctly and reboot the hub?
  • Do you have an alternative handset you can try in the Hub to see if this works?
  • When lifting the handset to call a number, do you get any tone at all?
  • When receiving calls, does your landline itself ring or is it only showing on the display?

If you can come back and let me know the answers to the above. It's possible we may need to get an engineer out to you so please ensure you come back to us here 🙂

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath - Thanks for your assistance. Replies below:

• As you're connected through the Hub can you ensure the adapter is plugged in correctly and reboot the hub? Conected securely and have rebooted
  • Do you have an alternative handset you can try in the Hub to see if this works?  No
  • When lifting the handset to call a number, do you get any tone at all?  Yes - a healthy tone. We can dial out just fine - its receiving thats the issue.
  • When receiving calls, does your landline itself ring or is it only showing on the display? Landline (phone) rings as normal - Display reads INCOMING CALL and very occasionally now we do get to see the caller details. I've just tried calling from my mobile and after a few rings my name did come up on home phone display. I'd tried this a few time earlier and it only displayed INCOMING CALL and when answered no tone or other noises.

Hi colmax, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one so quickly. 

We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi colmax, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. 

I'm glad I've been able to get things moving in the right direction for you. 

If you have any further issues please pop back and let us know. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

I have the same issue on my SH5 - noticed it since this morning.

Others reporting it too on SH5.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/HUB-5-Incoming-telephone-calls-disconnect...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/HUB-5-Incoming-telephone-calls-disconnect...

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

I've a visit aranged for Sunday - but it is beginning to look like a network issue.

@Kath_F wrote:

Hi colmax, 

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry to hear your landline is not working as it should be currently. 

In order to help look at this, there are a few checks we will need to go through with you. Can you let me know the following please:

• As you're connected through the Hub can you ensure the adapter is plugged in correctly and reboot the hub?
  • Do you have an alternative handset you can try in the Hub to see if this works?
  • When lifting the handset to call a number, do you get any tone at all?
  • When receiving calls, does your landline itself ring or is it only showing on the display?

If you can come back and let me know the answers to the above. It's possible we may need to get an engineer out to you so please ensure you come back to us here 🙂

Thanks, 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Hi - I have a visit arranged for this Saturday morning (very quick response). I wonder just what this issue is but will post tomorrow. Had a similar issue about two years ago and a techie based somewhere in Northern Ireland (Belfast I think) fixed it from that end by updating something in software at that side. We will see - but its a real pain. My daughter phoned this evening and still no tone etc when I answered. Had to do 1471 and then call her back - just not good enough VM.

Engineer arrived at 8'sharp this Saturday morning. Very helpful and checked everything out. Removed an attenuator from back of HUB 3 as no longer required and replaced a phone cable between Burnside emergency phone supply unit and HUB3. So far all good. Very impressed with speed of response from Virgin. Time will of course tell how the fix stands up....

Hi colmax, 

Thanks for coming back to us and updating us with how the visit went. 

We're really pleased to hear that the engineer visit went well and the calls are working now. 

I'm glad we were able to help and get the engineer sent out right away. 

If you have any further issues, please keep us posted. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team