cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone Switch to Fibre

aceatco
Dialled in

I have received a SMS and email today telling me my home phone will be switched to fibre in October. I use my VM hub in modem mode and it drives a separate Asus router. Will the phone adaptor be able to plug into the Asus? I have a spare RJ45 socket.

Steve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM's 'fibre phone' terminology is not helpful in describing the new phone setup. Post-switchover you continue to use your ordinary domestic telephone. This is plugged into the TEL1 socket on the VM hub using the VM-supplied adapter. This works whether the hub is in modem mode or router mode. Your VM phone service functions in a similar way as it did before, just connected to the VM hub rather than a telephone wall socket.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @aceatco, thank you for your query. 

You'd need to plug the adapter into one of the two telephone ports on the back of your Virgin Media Hub.

We're unable to support if any third party equipment is in use and cannot guarantee a smooth service.

Regards,
Daniel

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM's 'fibre phone' terminology is not helpful in describing the new phone setup. Post-switchover you continue to use your ordinary domestic telephone. This is plugged into the TEL1 socket on the VM hub using the VM-supplied adapter. This works whether the hub is in modem mode or router mode. Your VM phone service functions in a similar way as it did before, just connected to the VM hub rather than a telephone wall socket.

If the VM2 produced a decent wi-fi signal I wouldn't have needed the Asus router . . . .  😉  Besides it has 8 RJ45 sockets and 7 of them are filled.

Anyway, I have located the two TEL sockets (didn't know I had 'em!) so I am good to go.

Steve

Glad to hear that the support goslow has provided has helped in answering your query @aceatco 

We'll provide more information on the switch over to you closer to the time. You should receive the adapter in the post 2 weeks before your switch over date. Ensure the adapter is in the TEL 1 port only for the service to be received. 

Please let us know if you are having any further issues or have any questions at all. We'll be here to help on the community forums if needed :). 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley