Menu
Dave_Ash_20
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Home Phone Crackling - looking for advice.

Hi, 

I'm new here, just registered to see if anyone can provide me with a checklist that would fit my situation. I have seen others post similar issues and mine seems to be a mix of a few.

About 2 months ago, I purchased a wireless pack of phones (4 in the pack including the main unit with answer machine). 

I also have a wired connection in one of the other rooms.

I have Virgin 200m broadband.

The Router is a Hub 3.0.

Against most rules, I had the router on the floor until a couple of weeks ago. It's an old terrace house with thick walls and the signal isn't great at the back of the house, so I decided to follow the rule and put the router on top of the desk to see if it made any difference. 

This placed the router next to one of the wireless handsets (not the main unit).

The broadband speed didn't appear to improve but a few days later (in hindsight) the phones started to sound different. The tone to show (hear) that I'm connected when I press the talk button before punching in the numbers sounds 'odd' - almost international dial tone 'odd'. There is now crackling on all phone lines.

These changes to the phone line also appear (in hindsight) to coincide with an external broadband issue. 2 consecutive days, the broadband went down and engineers fixed it (possibly the area's broadband exchange box).

What I've done to try to find out what the problem is:

1) I've moved the router away from the wireless phone.

2) I've unplugged all phones and tried them one by one.

3) I've tried the old wireless phone which didn't have any previous crackling problems.

4) Unplugged all phones and then plugged directly into the Master Socket which is next to the Broadband internal box which then feeds my router.

Can anyone suggest anything else that I need to try, possibly a list of things and I'll work through them one by one 🙂

Sorry for the long winded explanation, I wanted to try and put in as much information as might be relevant.

Thanks in advance.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home Phone Crackling - looking for advice.

Hi Dave_Ash_20,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community forums. Sorry to hear that you have been having landline issues: Are you able to confirm the following?

• Are you using all 4 phones in total or just the one with the answering machine?
  • Are there other devices besides the phones using the landline, such as a fax machine?
  • Has the crackling always been there?
  • Do you hear the crackling before you dial?
  • Are you also having broadband issues or is it just the landline?

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos
Dave_Ash_20
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey, 

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

I've put my answers under each of your questions below.

Are you using all 4 phones in total or just the one with the answering machine?
>All phones are connected. 1 phone is the master and the other 3 are wirelessly connected to the master.
Only 1 phone would actually be in use at any one time.

Are there other devices besides the phones using the landline, such as a fax machine?
> There are no other devices using the landline, only the phones.

Has the crackling always been there?
> No the crackling has not always been there. It started a couple of weeks ago. This DID NOT coincide with getting new phones which was a couple of months ago. There was no crackling when new phones were installed (plugged in) and the old ones were removed.

Do you hear the crackling before you dial?
> When I pick up the handset (regardless of whether it's the master or one of the wireless phones) there is no noise. When I press 'talk' on the handset (before entering a phone number) then there is crackling.

Are you also having broadband issues or is it just the landline?
>No. There are no current broadband issues.

Thanks

Dave.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for your reply with all that information, I was just checking your services and can see an engineer was booked for this issue. 

Can you check your online account to see what time they are booked for please? 

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Dave_Ash_20
Joining in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan,

Just checked my account. 

You are correct. A telephone engineer has an appointment booked between 12pm and 4pm today, however, I have NOT spoken to anyone to book an engineer and didn't do it through my online account.

I don't know why there is an engineer booked. Are you able to find out how it was booked? 

I am trying to resolve this without the need for an engineer due to the fact that there is a £99 call out charge.

Please can you advise as soon as possible.

Thanks.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave_Ash_20,

Thanks for coming back to me, I can see there will not be a call out charge for this appointment as its a fault booking.

Call out charges are only for aspects where the customer has done accidental damage, or they requested a new box to be fitted.

Now that you know this, would you like me to keep the booking or cancel it? 

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Dave_Ash_20
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Provided there is no charge, then yes, please keep the booking. 

I am assuming it's unlikely they will be here in the next 25 minutes? As the booking says 12 - 4 this afternoon?

Is there anything else I need to do or have ready if they are checking? Will they be coming in the house or is it an outside check of the line? Just wondering with regards to policies on wearing masks etc.

Thanks.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave_Ash_20,

If the engineer doesn't arrive please let me know so I can review it and get another one booked, with your full knowledge this time. 

I am sorry it wasn't run by you initially, I will be looking into who booked it in the first place and giving feedback about it. 

As for policies around health and safety, they will have masks and hand sanitiser with them.

Thanks,

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Dave_Ash_20
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Megan,

Well it's after 8pm here now so I'm assuming I won't be getting a visit this evening. So no engineer visit today.

If you are going to book another visit, can you make it for any day other than Tuesday 1st December. Thanks.

Will the engineer need to enter the property or will it be an outdoor inspection? If it's outdoor only, then any day appointment is ok.

Thanks for your help with this.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Emma_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Very sorry that nobody turned up last night Dave. 

I have booked another engineer for you now, the details will be showing on your online account and if it doesn't suit then please re arrange the date and time from there. 

There will be no call out charge for this and it is likely the engineer will need to check both inside and outside connections. 

Please let us know how the visit goes. 

Thanks 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos