Menu
Asim123o
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Home Alarm

I have just moved  to VM and I have a home alarm system which notifies me if the alarm is triggered. However, VM is now providing phone line via the router which wasn't made clear to me even though I transferred my number to VM. In order for my alarm notification to work I need a traditional phone line. Otherwise, my alarm system is not optimal. I can't get any proper guidance from anyone at VM as I am been given conflicting information such as you can't have a traditional line, the alarm will work with the DOCSIS line or call Gadget Rescue who might charge you. I feel cheated and unsupported as a new customer. Any guidance or help will be appreciate. 

Kind regards

Asim

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Home Alarm

Hello Asim123o

Thanks for bringing this matter to our attention 

Sadly our new VOIP does nor support home alarms

It's hard to be blunt and say this, but we do nit have a support scope for 3rd party equipment

If you can seek advice from the Alarm company to see if they have an alternative for VOIP lines. that would be good

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Asim123o wrote:

I have just moved  to VM and I have a home alarm system which notifies me if the alarm is triggered. However, VM is now providing phone line via the router which wasn't made clear to me even though I transferred my number to VM. In order for my alarm notification to work I need a traditional phone line. Otherwise, my alarm system is not optimal. I can't get any proper guidance from anyone at VM as I am been given conflicting information such as you can't have a traditional line, the alarm will work with the DOCSIS line or call Gadget Rescue who might charge you. I feel cheated and unsupported as a new customer. Any guidance or help will be appreciate. 

Kind regards

Asim

This is something the alarm companies need to address, as support for traditional phone lines will end in the whole of the UK by 2025. It’s not just Virgin. BT & all the companies that use its exchanges will also be moving to VoIP during the next 5 years, with the old exchange structure eventually being dismantled.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It depends who is the alarm system provider. In my case I can switch from landline to mobile network but there will be a cost to do so which I'll bear when PSTN is phased out.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Asim123o
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Gareth,

Thank you for your advice but I need to inform you that I resolves my mattee through a simple solution which I hadtodiscover myself and it cost no more than 50p. 

All I need was an adaptor that goes in my old phone socket on the wall into which I connect my phone and the modem. This then provides a signal to my alarm and to my phone. 

I disappointed with VM because that advice they gave me could have led me to spend hundreds of pounds including one CSR trying to get me to sign up to some gadget wise company. 

I believe some more training for VM staff is required for this matter. 

I believe for companies which moving to VOIP should be sympathetic to customers with such matters and help resolve such issues rather than pass the buck. 

It goes a long way to care. 

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear you feel this way Asim123o but glad to hear this has now been resolved.

Rob

0 Kudos
waeedhussain
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

What adapter did you use? I'm going to have the same issue as well soon and want to get ahead of the curve before hand

0 Kudos