Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

High number of nuisance/scam calls

Hi,

Have had over 5 calls in past 4 hours to the landline for same scam issue saying my broadband line is about to get blocked, press 1 to continue...

Is there any quick way to report and stop this?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: High number of nuisance/scam calls

Hi iamjazzk, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are receiving these types of calls and we would recommend ignoring this. If you do find that this is happing quite often we can look at changing the landline number for you. Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@iamjazzk wrote:

Hi,

Have had over 5 calls in past 4 hours to the landline for same scam issue saying my broadband line is about to get blocked, press 1 to continue...

Thanks in advance!

It is pointless:

1) Reporting the numbers to anyone. These numbers are spoofed & totally fictitious. The scammers use VoIP, which is not only dirt cheap to use, but allows them to call from anywhere in the world & pretend to be next door. They can even call you from your own number!

2) Changing your number. These scammers use auto-diallers to dial batches of numbers & will literally go through every number on an exchange. There is NO way to avoid your number being called. You can reduce the calls somewhat by hanging up straight away. A friend of mine runs a youth football team, & leaves his whistle by the phone, so when he gets one of these calls he just blows their ears off😄

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Rising star
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@iamjazzk wrote:

<snip>

Thanks in advance!

In addition to the two key points in message #3 above, that leaves what you can do yourself to help mitigate against the problem.

Firstly, have a look through the manual for your phone. Cordless phones from Siemens, BT and Panasonic have a range of features which might be useful. Many have a function in the phone address book to mark your personal contacts as 'VIP' callers. A second phone feature then allows you to give VIP callers a unique ring tone. This means you can tell from the ring tone if it is someone you know or not. You can leave unknown callers to go to answering machine.

Secondly, some of those same phones have a timed 'do not disturb' feature which keeps the phone silent for a given period during the day apart from VIP callers who are allowed to ring through. Some phones have features to block or silence calls using withheld numbers or anonymous numbers.

Phones which allow blocking of individual numbers have limited use because, as has been mentioned, the fake caller IDs change for each new scam call.

Going beyond simple phone features, some of the same phone manufacturers offer phones with screening features which filter and challenge unknown callers before deciding whether to put them through and ring your home phone. Standalone devices by trueCall and CPR Call Blocker are separate devices which do the same call screening function.

You can also reduce marketing calls from legitimate companies by registering with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS). You can also set your marketing preferences with VM to remove VM marketing calls by phone. Doing that should help you in so far as you will then know anyone on the phone claiming to be VM is unlikely to be genuine.

I made do with basic phone features to screen out and ignore unwanted calls for quite a long period of time but eventually switched to a call screening/blocking device which has now solved the problem.