Menu
XZZ33
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Help! I need to change my landline number!

My landline number has been a source of nuisance calls for years - it was previously allocated to someone who obviously opted-in to all sorts of marketing and seems to be on a list that's sold around the World to cold-callers and scammers. Recently the level of scam calls has escalated to 4 or 5 per day and I've now had enough. I either unplug the thing or get a new number, I'm tired of "International" calls pretending to be from my broadband provider trying to encourage me to go to a website where I'll be infected with malware and a key logger or a (badly) automated voice message to enter my credit card details to prevent "my Amazon account" from being charge "69 dollars" for something I know nothing about. Exhausting. 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help! I need to change my landline number!

The sad news is there seems to be 2 epidemics going round at the moment. COVID 19 & scam calls. The problem is because scam calls don’t kill people it’s not as newsworthy.

We are ALL getting these calls in cycles a few weeks apart, sometimes numerous times a day. There are literally hundreds of posts like yours on all providers sites. These scammers are using auto diallers to dial every single number on an exchange, so changing your number won’t stop the calls about your faulty internet or Amazon accounts.

As far as marketing calls from bona-fide companies, make sure all your numbers (including mobiles) are registered with TPS.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi XZZ33,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community 🙂

I'm really sorry to hear you've been receiving a lot of unwanted and scam calls, I can appreciate this would get very frustrating after a while.

We can of course look into changing your landline number for you, but I just wanted to check if you'd had a look here for more advice and guidance on how to prevent unwanted calls from coming through?

If you'd already done everything you can then that's great - just let me know if you'd like to go ahead with the number change and I will pop you over a private message.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
XZZ33
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth,

yes, I’ve tried all that but overseas scammers are not caught by these measures. I’d like a fresh number that hasn’t previously been allocated to anyone else if possible please.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I am afraid that all numbers are re-cycled there is no such thing as a number that has not been at some point, each provider is issued a limited number of phone numbers.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi XZZ33,

Thanks for confirming.

Just so you're aware a number change will not promise to stop all unwanted calls from coming through - as Mike has advised, the number that you are assigned with may have been used by a previous customer, so a 'new' number is necessarily always new. Personally, I think it should help considering the amount of calls you are receiving per day, but there is sadly no guarantee.

I've sent you over a PM so I can take some account details if you'd still like to go ahead. You can find my message over at the purple envelope.

Thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos