Menu
robbev50
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hacked phone system

In recent weeks I have been receiving an increasing number of nuisance calls.

Today my phone launched a series of outbound calls at 9.30 to 10.0 am and these were definitely not initiated by me. Two people have phoned back in 'distress'. What can I do? I presume the system has been hacked. But as it is an old fashioned phone not connected to the computer this is particularly unusual.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hacked phone system

You might need to provide a bit more info.

What was the nature/type of your own incoming nuisance calls? (Usual ones are along the lines of 'Your internet will be cut off in 4 hours if you do not respond ...' etc. etc.)

How do you know your 'phone launched a series of outbound calls'? Are they showing on your phone's outbound call log (seems doubtful)?

What did those who phoned back tell you about the nuisance call they had received?

Most likely first guess would be that your phone number has possibly been used as a fake caller ID in some sort of malicious call or scam by someone else.

0 Kudos
robbev50
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

They are indeed recorded in my log on the phone. And I received inbound calls from two of the recipients who were angry or annoyed in the minutes afterwards. All the activity took place in a 35 minute period from 9.26am. I have the numbers of the two people who replied too. 

Inbound calls over recent weeks are all 'silent'. I reported this a few weeks ago.

It is very odd indeed.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That is very interesting and unusual. I've previously heard of caller ID being spoofed and also of lines unknowingly being taken over by third parties by putting in false transfer requests. Have also heard of recipients being transferred and forwarded to premium rate numbers by responding with a button press option to an incoming call.

Did you receive any of the silent calls immediately before the 35-minute dial-out period started? I believe that once you put the phone down from a call, the line is actually still held open for a period of time while the calling party can still remain on the line (up to a few minutes in the past maybe?) Not sure how that would allow someone to initiate an outbound call on your line though.

There are quite a few tech experts on the forums and VM insiders who may be able to offer more insight and explanations.

With regard to the incoming nuisance calls, I have used a call blocker and screening device to stop these for the last few months and it has 100% solved that particular issue.

The forum team should also respond to this. They may take up to a week to reply. Hope you manage to make some progress with it.

robbev50
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have now got through t0 the technical department and they say either compromised number or crossed line.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

scammers spoof calls at random. they have spoofed your number when they called out. Its not been hacked
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

if the calls are slowing in your phones handset call log then your phone made them. and that can only be done from your phone. Crossed lines will not show calls on your phone
0 Kudos
robbev50
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I know that is normally the case> But I have received two irate calls from people who claim I phoned and presumably used 1471 or caller display to identify my number.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

so what phone are you using? How are you seeing the calls have been made?
0 Kudos