cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB CONNECTED PHONE

ALF28
Super solver

I have  one phone connected to the hub 3 which works with the adaptor lead that VM have sent but due to relocation of the phone next to the hub, I can not always hear it ring when I receive a call. This phone is a BT answer phone with it's own power supply adaptor.

I previously had 2 phones, so can I use a phone splitter which I have, to cable to 2 phones from the hub, noting the second BT phone has no separate power supply.

I want to be able to use two connected phones in different rooms for practical reasons, and I have the required cables that can be used and can manage to route them.

My requirement is for both phones to ring at the same time so I can pick up either phone.

Would it be better to purchase  new phones that enable a base station and cordless phones with a second base station in another room as a repeater.

This problem was highlighted when I received a call and could not hear it as I was in the kitchen, but luckily my wife heard the call, the phone is in a back room.

Are there any recommended phones suitable for the hub 3.

I also wondered why there are 2 phone points on the hub 3.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

DECT phones work well and I've seen good results with phones from Panasonic and BT. All phones should work  with all hubs.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

DECT phones work well and I've seen good results with phones from Panasonic and BT. All phones should work  with all hubs.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi ALF28, 👋 welcome back to community. Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear these concerns with your current landline setup. 

Depending on your current handset and it's settings, you may have the option to increase the ringer volume. Apologies that we would not be able to offer further support or guidance on how to do this as it is a 3rd party piece of equipment, but you should be able to find the device manual online to see if this is possible. 

In terms of additional handsets, if you are using a wireless set, the only requirement should be that the main base unit is connected to the hub via the adapter. Any additional handsets would then work wirelessly.

We cannot recommend any particular handsets, but as the community have already advised all phones should work with all hubs via the adapter. 

Hope this helps! Wishing you all the best! 🌞

Molly

Thanks for all the help.

I have modified my telephones wiring and now have two BT decor phones working via a splitter, it only took half an hour as I had the cable  available to install to  the second phone in the original location which is the porch. This has solved my problem. I will check the ringer volume which is a good tip thanks.

The  hub is in a back room also used as a bedroom, and is an emergency phone to dial 111, but if that was to fail I have backup mobile phones also kept handy. It is easier to use a landline style phone with the quick handsfree button and larger buttons of a traditional phone.

I may upgrade later to cordless phones as suggested.

The change over to the hub connected phone can cause location issues if the hub is in a different location to the VM telephone wall socket which was my problem and this requires wiring changes. I was able to do the wiring changes myself as I used to be involved with electrical  and technical in the past, but the easy solution is to use a base station and  cordless phones which can be single, twin, triple.

I presume the old VM telephone socket will stop working,it was faulty anyway and will be redundant now, but is still connected  to the incoming VM cable and there is still an old BT telephone point installed but also not working and the copper wiring system will eventually be disconnected/removed in time and replaced with broadband connected phones via cable or phone masts.

DECT: Everything you need to know in 2023 | Gigaset

No problem! 
Thanks for returning with another update. Glad to hear you have modified your set up for your liking!

You are correct about the socket - this will no longer function in the same way as before as your landline is now running via the hub rather than the telephone cabling that is set up in this socket. 

Let us know if you need any further help in future! 

Wishing you all the best. 🌞

Molly