cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ghost telphone calls

Hammyhamster
Joining in

Hi, this problem is exactly the same as 18 months ago. But after complaining to Virgin Media, that at exactly 19+22 on the dot, my telephone would ring and keep ringing until I picked up the phone handset and cancel the call. There is no one on the phone, no heavy breathing either, just silence. Eventually, VM did stop these calls, but now the same process is happening once again.                  Early last month in March, I did have an engineer home visit for something VM stated needed to be checked, nothing was found, but I did mention my silent phone calls, and he stated that they are called ghost calls and that he also would report this in his report, but to date, nothing has happened, just silence, but from VM as well. If anybody has any suggestions please, please let me know how/if I can stop these nuisance calls

12 REPLIES 12

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Hammyhamster,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear that you seem to be getting some ghost calls coming through your landline. Is your landline service connected via a wall socket, or via an adapter into a broadband Hub? Can you confirm any troubleshooting you've carried out thus far?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Hi Zach, thanks for taking the time to ask about my ghost phone calls problem, I really do not have any idea how to stop these calls and have not done anything myself to stop these calls, apart from emailing several complaints off to Virgin Media, also sent a letter asking for help, unfortunately, Virgin Media have not acknowledged. I did look up "block nuisance phone calls" online but felt this was not viable for my problem. Zach, you asked if my landline service connector is via a wall socket, it was 18 months ago when these calls first happened. Now, for the last year or so, it is on the other side of the room, 24 feet away via an adaptor, a dongle from Virgin Media, into the v6 box and changed for another one, by the engineer's recent visit. One thing that sticks out in my limited logic, is when the call starts at 19+22, the caller display on my phone is 19+22. Anyway, thanks for your interest and any remedies are welcome. 

Thanks for coming back to us @Hammyhamster.

Can you please confirm if the hub is left switched on over night to ensure that any updates that are sent out to our customers equipment is received?

Are you connected via the Tel 1 or Tel 2 socket on the back of the hub to accommodate the landline services?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi, Dave sorry for the delay, been in hospital for a hip replacement. Yes my modem is left on 24 hrs a day and the Virgin Media dongle is inserted into the No1 slot on my box, I did insert it into the other slot No2 but then the telephone would not work, with no sound or dialing tone. Any other ideas are most welcome as without fail at 20+22 (clocks went forward) my ghost caller calls bang on the dot 

Hi @Hammyhamster,

Is it possible to try a different landline handset to see if that helps to alleviate the issue?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Is this a Hub 5 installation ? 

If YES - VM are well aware the Hub 5's is the root cause of the Ghost call issue.

Hi Zach that sounds a good idea, I will ask family, neighbors, and friends if they can lend me a telephone handset for a few minutes at 20+22 and will let you know what happens. Regards Cliff

Hi @Hammyhamster,

Thank you. Be sure to keep us posted. In the meantime, are you able to confirm what model of Hub you have? If you're unsure, feel free to provide a photo and we can confirm.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

Hi Zach, OK just got behind the tv and can confirm my box is definitely a 3.0 box, also confirmed by V M, BUT she had not heard of a ghost call and I had to explain problem, then she said "Well if there is anything else I can help you with and have a nice day" I cried