Menu
IB1995
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Getting charged for phone calls I have never made as there is not device installed

Hello.

We’ve been having problema with our landline bills for the last two months and I have a feeling like it will not be solved amd we have no other option than leaving Virgin Media.

Our contract is for a bundle of internet, mixtv and talk weekends. We haven’t installed a landline device in the house as we only use our mobile phones and everything was fine in the last 4 years of being a VM customer. Starting mid o July 2020 we started to get charged for hundreds of phone calls all over UK and got our internet disconnected as the bill was over the credit limit ( 218 instead of £64.50 which is the contracted amount). Have spoken with VM being passed from one department to another and being held for hours on the phone so that in the end they credit the charged for july and send an engineer to check and solve the issue. The engineer came and said he has nothing to do with it. Nothing has been solved. Have to mention that I paid that bill which wasn’t ours in the first place because they promised we won’t be charged any direct debit in the next 3 months. Guess what! New bill of more than 250!!! After paying the usual direct debit + about 200 for the call charges. The engineer came again today to tell us AGAIN there is no cross line as the landline is through the broadband.

I just cannot understand why this is not solved once and for all, and why it did start so suddenly?

Does anyone know what to do in this case? Speaking to them and ask for engineer is not the option.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting charged for phone calls I have never made as there is not device installed

Suspect only the forum team can help with this and look into it for you. Sounds like a horrible situation to be in.

If you never make use of the landline phone, by way of something simple you can check yourself, have you rung out from the VM landline (to a mobile for example) and double checked the caller ID number and compared that with the number you are getting billed for? Similarly when you ring the number that is appearing on the bills, does it actually ring through to your landline phone via the hub?

The forum team are often very good at getting to the bottom of these kind of issues when other parts of the VM support system have failed and they can escalate cases to higher grades of technician to investigate. Hope they can sort it for you.

(They can take up to a week to reply to a post. Do not mark any helpful answers until your problem is resolved)

IB1995
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting charged for phone calls I have never made as there is not device installed

I called from my mobile to the landline number and is dialing, but no response ever. I cannot call from our landline to mobile as there is no phone device installed

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The only way you could properly test would be to borrow a corded phone, with an adapter to go into the back of the hub (RJ11 plug to BT phone socket) to allow a standard phone to plug in (see bottom left pic in link below on how it connects).

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-line-faults

If a friend, family, neighbour has the same VM phone setup via the hub, could you borrow their phone and adapter to test? Simple corded phone to buy is around £10-ish, adapter £3-ish which are normally useful things to have on standby anyway for emergencies.

The above is only worth doing if you can get the bits easily/cheaply and if you feel you want to do some investigating yourself. Just a bit of a long-shot to try something obvious first. Otherwise wait for a VM forum team member to respond and see what they can do to help. It certainly sounds like an unusual situation.

0 Kudos
Volin25
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same. Absolutely horrible. Starting to leave virgin media. We are more than 9 years with virgin media, and never had problems with them.

But now it's problems after problems. Not only with landline home phone, but with TV as well. We have the same package  Mix tv bundle with weekend talks. But never had connected home phone to line. And get charged for what we even didn't call. As we don't have a home phone. 

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello IB1995

Thanks for your post 

Sorry though to hear about the call charges 

We would usually thing this would be a crossed line 

However the engineers visit proved other wise 

Do your recognise any of the numbers dialled at all 

I am happy to look into this for you 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
IB1995
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello.

No, none. Most of them are landline numbers from different parts of Uk, to me it seems like a business is using our landline number, as there is no way an individual can call so many times a day, to so many cities.

I tries to call our landline several times and strangely - it had dial tone even though we did not connect a phone device ever. I believe it should have a busy tone.

P.S. No one answers.

0 Kudos
Ryan_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I will send you a private message so I can take a look. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk
0 Kudos