Menu
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Get my phone number back

I am a new customer, line was installed on 4th Feb

I wanted to keep our old phone number and the engineer said it would be reversed back to it after a few days. It is not the case.

I need my phone number back for safety reasons.

Can't contact helpline as don't know how to set up a safe password...

I am getting desperate!

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Get my phone number back

Was your previous number with another provider like BT? If it was and you didn't ask VM to port it across when you signed up to VM it is probably too late to do anything about it. For a port to happen successfully your old number and the old line needs to be kept open and live until the port happens. Otherwise the old number is returned to the pool of numbers available to your previous provider for reissue, eventually to their customers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I was with vodafone, the engineer said it would be done in less than a week. Nobody mentioned anything else to me...

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Did you ask VM when you signed up to carry over your number? If you did it should happen within 10 days. If you didn't and you have now cancelled your Vodaphone line - let me spell it out - kiss your old number goodbye. The VM techs don't know the details of how to port numbers. He probably assumed you had asked for a number carry over. Understand now?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Why did the engineer not mention this at all? It was not in the documentation I was given either.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is nothing to do with the tech. You should have been asked when you signed up. And you should have mentioned that you wanted to carry over your number, if it was that important to you. You didn't did you? It's too late now - probably.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @Anonymous 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have not managed to port your number over. 

As advised by @HowardML, If the number hasn't been requested for porting at the time of taking a contract out with us and the Vodaphone line is no longer active, unfortunately there isn't anything else we are able to do. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you want to port your number one thing must happen, & one thing must not.

Must happen: You must contact your new provider & tell them you wish to port your number when signing up. They will then check for any compatibility issues, & then they will contact your old provider to arrange the number port.

Must not happen: Cancelling or giving notice of cancellation to your old provider. This will effectively block your number being ported, as the request to disconnect is directly from you & not the new provider.

Bear in mind that the above is the agreed switching process set out by the telecoms regulator & Virgin are not at fault if the customer does not follow this process.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993