Menu
GNeilli
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Following a scam call re 'order of an iPad' - succession of callers saying they have missed call from me

This morning soon after 9 :00am  I had a pre recorded call alleging that I had ordered an iPad from their company - clearly bogus call. Following this call I have had a succession of around 8 calls so far from people ringing me saying that they had missed a call from me. 

I tried to call Virgin to investigate (if they could) but recorded message says that due to Covid there is an hour queue.

The (missed call) callers seem to be all in an elderly age group and a couple said they thought it might be their doctors calling re a vaccine.  Age group may reflect the demographic for land line use.

To be honest the majority of calls I receive on the landline (up until today) have been poor pre-recorded scam calls - often allegedly from BT saying they are about to cut off my internet connection. 

Getting close to the point where I am wondering whether it is worth continuing with a landline. 

Neil 

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Following a scam call re 'order of an iPad' - succession of callers saying they have missed c...

Hey and welcome to the community @GNeilli

Sorry to hear that you're having issues with scam calls on your landline.

We have a number of options that we can use to combat the nuisance calls

Register with the Telephony preference service here 

Registering a complaint with Ofcom here

You can find other options on the link here

We could also change your number to a new number to you but we would need to pass account security to get this done. If you would like to do this, please let me know and we can start the process.

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
GNeilli
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Following a scam call re 'order of an iPad' - succession of callers saying they have missed c...

FYI I am already registered with TPS 

With respect to today's issue ( the calls have stopped coming in so far) I am concerned that the scammer call (maybe inadvertently) was being identified presumably via 1471 as being my number. I am guessing that as experts in the telecoms field that Virgin will be aware of how this has happened.

Although for me it was inconvenient - I was concerned that the people who called me appeared to be of a particularly vulnerable group - and that the activity of the scammers is fraudulent. Whereas I appreciate that the origin of the scams may have little to do with VIrgin - often the call numbers cannot be identified using 1471 so individually we cannot provide any identifying information to Ofcom other than the time of the call. 

Not sure if there is any point in changing my number - if I went ex directory people who may want to call me for business reasons would not be able to find me. It is getting to the point where there is little advantage in having a land line (Cost of land calls are now higher on average than mobile with inclusive minutes) 

The response was unfortunately as expected  - Virgin unable to do anything to solve root cause of the issue - just sticking plaster solutions. 

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for coming back to us @GNeilli.

I have looked into your number on the network and have removed it and then readded back onto the network.

I hope that removing your number from the network and re-adding the 1471 feature, this should hopefully stop the issues happening. Please let me know if you have any further issues with this and we can look into this further for you.

Regards

Steven_L 

0 Kudos
GNeilli
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - problem seems to have abated now - not sure if this is due to your action - it's not an issue that I had heard of before and I suspect that there was some software glitch somewhere - not necessarily with Virgin 

N

0 Kudos