cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upgrade

Grimble2000
Tuning in

What's the solution if my home phone is in a different room to my router? Running a cable across the room and out through the door is not the solution I'm looking for

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Grimble2000 wrote:

What's the solution if my home phone is in a different room to my router? Running a cable across the room and out through the door is not the solution I'm looking for

Your only 'wires-free' solution is to invest in a cordless phone system. Plug the base station into the VM hub and use cordless satellite phones around the home as required. The base station and handset connected direct to the hub can be set to be silent on many cordless phone systems for no ringing near the hub.

VM can modify your phone wiring for you (free of charge) but it requires VM to place a phone socket next to the VM hub and then link that phone socket to the telephone socket on the hub and also to your existing home phone sockets so that they become joined to the hub's phone connection. Some telephone wiring changes would be required but it may be possible for any telephone wiring to follow the route of the existing coax cable to the hub and for any joins in the telephone cable to happen outside where the phone wiring is linked in the omnibox. That would minimise any new cable runs to existing routes. That option, however, is highly dependent on the individual existing cable routes in your home and agreeing a plan of work with the VM tech who comes to do any changes.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Grimble2000, thank you for reaching out and to answer your questions your phone line now goes into the back of your router.

This is called VOIP and all you need is an adapter for this to plug the phone into. 

I hope this helps. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Hi Matt, no, it doesn’t answer my question one bit. 

Hey Grimble2000 I am sorry this does not answer your question for you. 

You will not need a long running cable through the house, your phone line will be the router.

You can find out more about it works here Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I’m not prepared to do that. I don’t want a long cable strewn about my house. This is what I said in my question.

Hey Grimble2000, as mentioned you wont have a long cable because you copper line wouldn't be working now, it would just be your phone plugged into your router in the same room.

The phone line would go into the back of the router, unfortunately we only do this type of phone line sorry. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Do I have to have a phone line then. Do you do a package without one. I can’t put my phone/answer machine in the room where the router is and no one uses the landline anyway 

Hey Grimble2000, thank you for reaching back out.

No you don't need to a landline you can have broadband on its own or broadband and TV together for example. 

You can also make any changes to package here. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Grimble2000 wrote:

Your only 'wires-free' solution is to invest in a cordless phone system. Plug the base station into the VM hub and use cordless satellite phones around the home as required. The base station and handset connected direct to the hub can be set to be silent on many cordless phone systems for no ringing near the hub.

VM can modify your phone wiring for you (free of charge) but it requires VM to place a phone socket next to the VM hub and then link that phone socket to the telephone socket on the hub and also to your existing home phone sockets so that they become joined to the hub's phone connection. Some telephone wiring changes would be required but it may be possible for any telephone wiring to follow the route of the existing coax cable to the hub and for any joins in the telephone cable to happen outside where the phone wiring is linked in the omnibox. That would minimise any new cable runs to existing routes. That option, however, is highly dependent on the individual existing cable routes in your home and agreeing a plan of work with the VM tech who comes to do any changes.

Thank you. That’s more like it!